Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
ca
City
yucca Valley
I was hoping to find out what meds they were using to help (if any) on ALS patients..
a family member was asking about this yesterday...

hugs
Nala

The only drug that has been proven to help with ALS is Rilutek. It has limited results. None of the other drugs or supplements or treatments have been proven to do ANY good. Beware of people who tell you different. They are trying to sell you something.

Thanks AL

I have decided to write an article on ALS and hope that I can find somegood information here with your little community. So far I have been very impressed with the honesty and great help I have received here..I thank you kindly

God Bless
Nala

Rilutek?

My father was diagnosed recently and I've been persistently researching about Rilutek, and somehow the general idea seems to be that it really isn't much help or worth the side effects.
I should clarify that my Dad has been a lifelong wine enthusiast and according to my research he can't have any alcoholic beverages with Rilutek. Mind you, I know that this may seem as a small sacrifice to make for such an overwhelming disorder/ condition, however this is one of my dad's greatest joys and at this point his enjoyment of life seems to be at the top of my list. Please, illuminate me. I'm just trying to help my Dad make the best of it.

Hi Titi. Wlcome to the forum. I am sorry about your father. As a fellow wine enthusiast I will say that Rilutek is hard on your liver. Alcohol is hard on your liver. If you have regular blood tests to check liver function and your liver is not damaged already then a little wine will not hurt. If the blood tests show a problem, then you make a decision. Personally I'd chose wine.
AL.

Thanks for the input.

Al said:
Hi Titi. Wlcome to the forum. I am sorry about your father. As a fellow wine enthusiast I will say that Rilutek is hard on your liver. Alcohol is hard on your liver. If you have regular blood tests to check liver function and your liver is not damaged already then a little wine will not hurt. If the blood tests show a problem, then you make a decision. Personally I'd chose wine.
AL.

You sound like somebody he would like.
Again, thanks for the input.

Al,

Has anybody heard of any clinical trials or other investigations of pralidoxime chloride, also called 2-PAM for treatment of ALS? That is the chemical used for long-term treatment of VX (nerve agent) poisoning.

Pappy

Pappy. I haven't heard of any trials with this drug myself but you can check this site to see if any are being done in the US.
http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/
AL.

arimoclomol

Nala said:
I was hoping to find out what meds they were using to help (if any) on ALS patients..
a family member was asking about this yesterday...

hugs
Nala
I have heard of a drug called arimoclomol that is being studied and i pray that sometime soon they find a cure...God Bless

was just iagnose last month an all i am on is rilutek 50mg twice a ay,sorry d doesnt always work, my mom passed in 90 of als an after not talking to father for years i foun out its on his side too, presently have very weak legs foot rop and some pulmonary symptoms, oes anyboy know if it can cause colds to last longer? may be just my imagination, other than that i feel good[as long as there are no stairs around8)

Hi Johnals. Welcome to the forum. We've had a couple of other folks with familial ALS-hopefully you will get to "meet" them. Its great that you're doing OK except for some stairs. Jump in at any time with questions and comments. Welcome aboard! Cindy

Hi Johnals,
I had a cold back in Jan. that lasted around six weeks, it turned into having both ears infected. I went to the Dr. 3 times during that six weeks before I got to feeling better. I would say with the fatigue that comes with this disease it does make a cold last longer.
Get plenty of rest and up the Vit. C if you take it. Take Care, Rhonda

well i guess i will be a member for awhile till i figure a way to beat this thing, am currently considering a double blind study at mass. gen on iv antibiotics, just not sure if rilutek will be allowed,or if i want to drag an iv pole everywhere not knowing if its real or placebo, thanks for welcoming me and god bless

res stdy

Johnals,

am currently a subject for ceftriaxone - still looking 4 subjects!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back