Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
CA
City
san diego
My brother is big guy and his legs appear to be going first. What kind of help is available to help transfer him from bed to a wheel chair if we are unable to lift him? I am also wondering how we will transfer him to use the toilet. He has Medicare and Medi-Cal. What kind of help do they offer?

Thanks,
Tara

My sense is that these insurances pay for what equipment he will needs. I think that if there is a deductable, the Local ALS or MD guys help out. Plus they have loaner closets for stuff that you cannot get otherwise. But that's just my guess. The more experienced PALS and CALS will know for sure...

Tara - if you go to the ALS org web site www.alsa.org there is a click to the ALS manuals. I think it is manual four that shows the various lifts available. I downloaded the manual to my computer so I can make reference or show people what I will need.

Sharonca

Does anyone have any experience with Medi-Cal Medicare coverage?

I am trying to plan ahead for some of my brothers needs. He has Medicare and Medi-Cal. I am concerned about what will be covered and what wont be covered. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Will they cover the expensive meds I have been hearing about? The doctor has not offered him a prescription and I am wondering if it is because they are not covered?

I am also concerned about coverage for special equipment and in-home care and nursing home care (when its needed).

Any help in understanding this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Tara

Tara, I also strongly suggest registereing with ALSA and the MDA, the MDA will provide up to 2000.00 towards a wheelchair and a speech augmentation device, a one time benefit. There are also "loaner" closets, where equipment can be provided to you, free of charge- based on availability. There is also an organization called Extra hands for ALS .http://www.extrahands.org/ They offer up to 2 hours weekly of volunteer time, non medical, for things like the lawn, groceries, cleaning... I haven't used them but they appear to be a wonderful organization. Also, most senior centers offer assistance with navigating the complex medicare enviroment. (You don't have to be a senior to get this free assistance) They can tell you which part to elect so that you have prescription coverage. The expensive medication you are referring to is Rilutek, it is appx 1000 a month, but I know one of the Medicare supplements covers it, just don't know which one. We declined the medicare supplements because it was expensive and I have private insurance. And keep posting here, everyone has tips/tricks for pretty much everything.... they will be glad to share the benefit of their experience with you.
Andrea wife of Pals Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back