Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
We have been talking about afos recently and I realized the type you have really matters. A couple of people talked about wearing a hiking boot style shoe with theirs for example which doesn’t work with mine because it has a protruding side piece.

I like mine a lot. It is designed to keep my ankle from rolling, correct for foot drop and, as I was told when I got it, helps a little with thigh weakness as it supports below the knee.

I have seen other PALS with just a footplate and then a piece that runs up the back of the calf with a strap running around the leg below the knee. Is this what most of you got?

What is yours made of? Mine is carbon fiber I think

Here is a picture

Attachments

• 986D82CF-5EE3-4FF8-9346-732880223064.jpg
    986D82CF-5EE3-4FF8-9346-732880223064.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 328
Mine is an Allard toe-off 2.0. You can get replacement soft-kit pads and straps through Rehabmart. Like Nikki’s, it has a carbon fiber foot plate . The part that goes up the leg is in front of the shin.

It took me a few weeks to get used to them, but now I love them.

My AFOs are an energy storing reinforced type. Copolymer with a polypropylene reinforcing strip up the back. Jamming half an inch of plastic in the heel of your shoe makes my already size 14s into 15 EE shoes. I am close to 300 lbs so it needed to be heavy duty. The best part is I made them myself before I retired from making artificial limbs and braces.
Vincent

Mine are custom made plastic ones.

I'm attaching a picture - hopefully successfully. I have chosen a much more subtle/boring grey pattern.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 9.35.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 9.35.10 PM.png
    56.8 KB · Views: 318
Mine were as yours, Nikki.

I wore them with lo-top hiking shoes.

We have been talking about afos recently and I realized the type you have really matters. A couple of people talked about wearing a hiking boot style shoe with theirs for example which doesn’t work with mine because it has a protruding side piece.

I have the same one. They work fine for foot drop and lower limb weakness. Ever since, started to have thigh weakness, not giving enough stability. Velcro strap is wearing off, if somebody knows where to replace the strap.

Your orthotist should be able to order one. A friend who lives out West who got a brace that has a thigh support too so you should hould ask about that too she has super slow progression so it made sense for her to invest in another brace. Where do you go for orthotics?

The support for the upper leg is small I agree but it does help me somewhat still

Last edited:
I have Allards. Kevlar worked great.

Attachments

• 31B20D68-D9FF-407D-9B90-92C1A129225F.jpg
    31B20D68-D9FF-407D-9B90-92C1A129225F.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 318
my va issued afos are carbon fiber with the brace running from heel up to my calf (back of my legs) with a Velcro strap to secure the afo. Velcro is exceptionally difficult to unfasten when removing the afo. seems the side mount brace as pictured in posts should be more effective and easier to use.

If anyone can post picture of the one with thigh braces, that would be extremely helpful.
The one i was shown was very bulky and probably not wearable under the pants.

I suspect my friend’s is what you were shown. When wearing pants she wears it over not under

My question is whether or not I should actually go ahead and get the afo? My last clinic visit, it was suggested that I should start considering the wheelchair, because lower body strength is declining. Currently I get around with a rollator.

My left leg still works ok, although somewhat weak. My right foot and leg are atrophied and the toes won't move at all.

Is getting the afo for the right leg really going to be worth it at this point based on anyone's experience? The pt could not offer much advice.

Thanks!

AFO might help you with transferring and pivoting since you’re still able to stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back