Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve,

Your post reminded me of a real nice "find" I made online. It's called Great Courses Plus. It's $20 a month but has hundreds of courses in every topic you can imagine. They are all taught in lecture format, with lots of visuals, by professors at great universities. No homework. Just 30 minute sessions. Just about every new topic interests me. I've been through most of the philosophy/religion courses, some gaming theory and math courses, tai chi, and a bunch of other courses.

I would highly recommend this for people who are home bound or in bed/chair most of the time.

Another thing I wanted to say was how much I enjoyed seeing Karen's performance and Steve's skiing adventure. I like seeing PALS doing things they love.

Kim, ditto on your comment about making it to 2020 to vote DT out of office :). Yep, I’ve thought about that too.

I came to the Forum tonight looking for "something?" This thread is what I needed.

Almost every response so far has given me a feeling of hope. Today has been one of those days: I needed the Trilogy a lot, for the first time during the day. My CALS was short on energy and patience (understandably so.). My brain was obsessed with wondering about the progression time frame. In short, ALS came, saw, and conquered me today!

But all of your replies had a line, or more, that spoke to me and I am so appreciative of you all. Thank you for being here. Today, the Forum keeps me going :!:

Kim, ditto on your comment about making it to 2020 to vote DT out of office :). Yep, I’ve thought about that too.

I finally convinced my brother (who is a resident of FL even though he lives in NY most of the year) to vote with an absentee ballot. I have a key to his mailbox. We have a deal. If one of us dies, the other will vote for them :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I had a boss who told me he voted for his father for 20 years after he died :lol::lol:

Welcome Outlander. Today was a brighter day for me. Yesterday I was pretty down. I guess that’s how it’s going to be with ALS.

Karen, good thread!

All that everyone said is great stuff.

Forgiving oneself for being an a$$ and melting down on my cals after a frustrating episode and yet more loss is the first step for me in getting back in the saddle.

Mj helps ease bad thoughts for me. Doing something for another really helps.

I can't spit any more but I can FART real loud in public and because I am pwc most people laugh and when there's no gas coming forth I use my fart machine in elevators ,lines a store, churches, rallies etc just to get a laugh. Why not! Got nothing to lose.
If made someone laugh then I am good to go.
I try not to beat myself up all time.
Letting go is a process not an event so it take time.

Change, anger, surrender, acceptence have been with me these last four yrs but really it's not any different for anyone on this planet.

Keep on keeping on everyone. Love ya all
Chally
More will be reveled!

Chally, you are a wise man, but I don't see many of us girls getting on board your fart train for fun!

you are right about finding ways to help other. Every Tuesday my caregiver loads me in the van, we pick up my grandson and take him to gymnastics. It helps my daughter and I get some special time with my grandson.

also, I love helping my caregiver with her homework. She will be the first in her family to graduate from college and it feels so good to be her mentor and do something productive.

good thread, Karen, it's good to think about the positives.

Yeah, I’m not sure I’d get a fart machine, but I once downloaded a fart app on my phone, if you can believe it.

I can see returning to this thread for inspiration as the losses pile up. You all have much wisdom to offer.

Keep it coming....

This thread just goes to show that life may not be what it once was, but it is ok to take a step back and see that life is not all doom and gloom. It's ok to be pissed off and mourn the losses and yet don't be ashamed to enjoy life with what we have been dealt.

Bravo to all.

chally,

Aren't you afraid you'll poop your pants with all that fart antics? That would be my fear. Karen's app sounds much less risky.

Karen, I hate this thread came out of you being down but the posts are amazing and we need to do more like this. Especially for the new PALS.

This may be more appropriate in the humor part of this forum but it does address the Subject of fart which has already been discussed here.

At a New Year's Eve party back in the early 60's the hostess prepared good luck food for all the states represented.

Mine was black eyed peas - served with eggs. Other food included pickled herring, etc.

I sampled each of these culinary delights which resulted in mucho gas.

Sitting on the sofa with very plush cushions I relieved myself of the gas that had been accumulating for what seemed like hours - hoping the cushions would muffle the sound.

I immediately got up and since seating at the party was scarce an attractive middle age lady sat on the now fart saturated cushions. The result was too hilarious to relate here but the aroma caused accused stares at the lady and people near by to scatter.

Ernie, this thread is about finding purpose in the face of loss. Or making lemonade out of lemons, so to speak.

However, your fart story cracked me up. Humor is definitely an important way to cope with the nightmare.

I struggle with this too. Lately the weather has really been getting me down. I feel like I would have a lot more to do and enjoy if it would warm up. I feel trapped in our little house all day and have been escaping into books to fill my time. So right now it's books getting me through.. I love sci-fi and fantasy books.

But, I feel like if I could just sit out in our backyard on a warm day, not even doing more than just sitting there, I would be way happier and less anxious. I never minded winter before ALS. But now I can't drive, or dress easily, and I just feel stuck in a gloomy box.

Kristina,

Do you listen to audiobooks, too. My neck started giving me trouble years ago from a car accident. I had to switch to audiobooks and "save" my neck for work. I found that they were a totally different way to experience a book. Now I always have one going when I'm alone, or when I'm doing a task that is really boring.

Kristina.
Have you read the All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness? My "go back to"s (time and time again) are Darkover stories (Marion Zimmer Bradley) and Pern novels (Anne McCaffrey). OoOooo. And Callahan's for a smile (Spider Robinson)

Angie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back