What Keeps you going?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes AL deleted pics Legs on vacation

They were too large, so just deleted them. It was me with my boat back when I could walk. Now the boat just sits there. Kinda sad. Guess I'll get up enough nerve to sale it before long.

Went to my brother-in-laws for friendly game of poker. Lasted about 3 hours. It took 2 big strong men and my wife to get me up and out to the car. Legs would not work at all. All just part of the progression of ALS I guess, but sure is a downer. Brother-in-law asked if I had a ladder I could get in and out of the boat? Told him I can't climb ladders, he said too bad cause I'm too fat for him to keep lifting me like he did last night. Almost gave him a hernia. haha

Hum maybe I can just roll down the pier and fall into the boat?

God Bless
Big AL:-D

Big Al,

Just make sure you roll into the boat.......DON'T MISS!

Hey Al

So do tell,,did ya win the poker game?

No Joe no one hijacked your thread. I wasn't on tonight so I didn't screw_t up. This time and I doubt Davd did. What did you have in it?

Hey Big AL I've been down to the boat yard. They have those big slings just like a Hoyer lift. They could swing us out onto the boat with one of those. Check it out. That might work. AL.

... or an engine lift with a sling on it? They aren't as expensinve as a hoyer lift and have quite a good range of lifting motion! You should go fishing and catch as many of those asian carp as you can!

T.

TBear said:
..." Sir... nice TRADE Sir".
Yep, there must be some Texan hog farmer who is now realizing he got the short end on that deal.

Thanks for all the "GOOD" boat advice haha

Yes If I rolled into the boat I probably would miss and hit the water with my luck and become shark bait. Then there is the problem of getting back out up on the pier that is 2 feet higher than the boat. If I ever try it, I need a camera man handy, so I could sale it to World's most funny videos.

Old habits die hard, Like loving fishing and boating. The cool breeze blowing through my long hair, watching the beautiful sunrise over the water, and then getting one heck of a charlie horse in the middle of my back, falling on the fish slime on the boat deck, landing on the rotting bait with my head stuck in the livewell. Ah yes, such fond memories dreams are made of.

Short story:
Then there was the time when I went out on a 14 foot bassboat to ship island which is 18 miles offshore Gulfport to do some floundering. The sea was as calm as a baby's behind. Full moon, and fish were everywhere, Until "IT" came...... The cold front out of the North with winds around 35mph and seas about 5 to 7 feet average with a rogue wave every now and then of about 10 feet. I could only travel into the waves at about 8mph due to seas breaking into the boat, the bilge pumps were running I was bailing, and I looked at my fishing buddy next to me and he was all in a ball asleep in his life jacket. Some help he was. It was about 2am. Dark as a lump of coal. This was the night I thought it was over, we would surely sink.

Finally after about 6 hours we made it to the shore, I hit my fishing buddy on the shoulder and said why were you asleep when I needed help the most, we were sinking? He said I knew we were sinking that's why I was not asleep I was praying because I thought we were going to die and I had to get right with God quick.. (True Story sad to say)

That was in my old days when I had no idea about boats and the sea. I've learned a lot since then especially about checking the weather before you go out, but still not enough to roll into and out of the boat. Like I've said before I ought to write a book but no one would believe it was true. I've been too close to death too many times for one man to live and tell about it.

God Bless and hope you got a chuckle out of this,
Big AL
:oops:

P.S. Oh yeah, lost the poker game too.

Big AL I really laughed out loud at that story. I was in a situation like that with a boat once going up on the rocks in Georgian Bay and it wasn't funny at the time but I can laugh about it now. Like I've said before. God looks after fools and little children. Not sure which category we're in. Hope you're having a good day. See you had some nasty weather the other night. AL.

Yes I think most of us boat owners have been up a few creeks without our paddles.
Weather blew thru pretty bad, but we needed the rain as long as there were no tornadoes. Had a few of those but not near us.
God Bless
Big AL

Thanks Big Al,

I am boat person too and that brought back some fond (but scary) memories of my own.

I did not even get our boat in the water this year.......still fighting with the decision to sell it.

I can, VIVIDLY, remeber one time we were tied up for the night. We used to do a lot of boating with friends that also had a 26' cabin cruiser. So we had our boats tied together which turned out to be the best thing we could have done.
For an hour we watched some storm clouds approaching us, they seemed to be moving off to the south so we started making supper. All of a sudden a cyclone was on us and what a ride! It tore off all our canvas tops and we were sitting under a water fall fighting to stay upright.

It could really have been a frightening experience if we were not so busy dealing with staying upright. If our boats had not been tied together we both would have flipped over. It broke our ropes that were 1/2", mangled our anchors and put a foot of water in the bilge. The whole thing lasted about 20 minutes.

Our friends never did recover.....they sold their boat.

Joel sounds like enough to make anyone sale their boat.
Short story:
Sailboat is going up river at night when he sees an approaching boat, he tacks to right to give the other boat more room, the other boat turns the same direction. He immediately tacks to the left, and darn if the other boat didn't do the same thing. The closer he gets the more worried he get, he tacks to port other both goes to port, tacks to starboard other boat goes to starboard, Finally hits the boat head on.

That was when he discovered the other boat was anchored.

God bless
Big AL
:)

Big Al my name id Donna and let me tell you a true story. My husband has a 33 ft sport fisherman. it sat in the racks almost all summer. I felt bad , this is his passion. So one day I ordered it out of the rack prepared and brought around to the house (we live on the water) well it sat here for 2 weeks, Ben would just look at it. One day I got all our friends together and we decided it was time. it took 4 men to get him in that boat but we did it. He was only able to drive the boat out of the lagoon and a short distance in the bay when his arms started to fail and his friend took over. We went to Atlantic City for lunch and it took 6 men to get him out and onto his chair. We ate there was about 14 of us for lunch (some came by car) but this is what we used to do every weekend in the summer and we wanted to do it for him again. We had a great time hand I have not seen him smile like that since. What I'm trying to say is go for it were there is a will there is a way. You dissever to go boating so tell the family and friends to figure it out. Call me if you need help I'll be there in Spirit......... Donna Barnegat, New Jersey

Hi Donna. Be thankful that you have friends that would do that for your husband. For him to be able to do that must have been the high light of the year for him. You're a princess for arranging it for him. AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back