What Keeps you going?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been away awhile, setbacks

I really enjoyed reading everyone's comments, I appreciate your positive attitudes and uplifting comments. Thank you David, AL, and the rest of the staff for this site. I don't know what we would do without it.

Ok my time to vent a little, so you will know everything is not perfect all the time.

Celebrated my 41st. wedding anniversary Oct 8, and had one of my grandchildren flip out on drugs and hit his father in head with casserole dish, cutting his right eye to the bone.

Just flew him to another son in Kentucky yesterday for rehab, hopefully. My son that was hit did not lose eye but came as close a 1mm.

Found out I have lost about 6 inches in muscle mass in right calf, losing about half my speech, found that out when I tried to sing. (run for the doors)..... Bowels are not functioning properly? Anyone had that problem, I mean the muscle spincher I think they call it?

After found out about my 14 year old grandson hitting his dad, I've been sitting around crying for 3 days for no reason it seems, just uncontrolable, seems there are so many things out of our control, and I have to admit I'm a control nut.

Since I did not make it to church the preacher came by yesterday and we had church here, just me and him. Picked up my spirits greatly just to talk to someone about all the problems and to pray over them and give them to God. That is sooooo hard to do. I want to try to work out everything, but God knows best, it's in His hands.

I just wanted you to know I still have a positive attitude about all this ALS and what life I have left, but there are mood swings that we have to learn to live with and to overcome.

I know you may have a hundred more problems than me, but trust God to carry your burden and He will give you strength for every trial you have to face. One of my favorite phrases in the bible is "and it came to pass", I take that to mean it didn't come to stay. I know it's out of context, but it helps me at least to imagine,

ALL MY TRIALS WILL SOON BE OVER!

God Bless
Big AL

Not too soon I hope. I thought we were going fishing in Feb. Sounds like you're having some bad days. We all go through them. I went for an EMG and NCV test this week and the Neuro didn't do the EMG because he said I'd gone downhill bad enough that there was no point. I know I've been slipping quick lately but when you hear them say it, it makes you think about it more. Be thankful AL that hurricane season is almost over and you didn't get wet this year. There are still some good things in life. Take care. AL.

setbacks

I had to go to a cardiologists tues. heart has been skipping bad lately, I thought now what, bad enough with everything else to deal with. Bowels are not affected by als I've been told and the heart is not affected they say, all I know is my heart started acting up exact same time as my first symptoms of als. I've got a 24 hr. heart monitor on right now as I type this. My son is newly married and having bad marital problems. Seems like the crap [can I say that here] never stops flowing for us here with this terrible disease. Sorry to hear your grandson, Big Al, is having problems with drugs and is getting violent. Keep the faith! This stuff will come to an end some day! Met my neigbor today, she said she has had MD for 15 yrs.and now can barely swallow and she is having problems talking and walking, I thought, we [als/mnd persons] are not the only ones suffering out there. Barry

Question for Big Al Mississippi Man

HELLO AGAIN! Have you seen or heard of Cheryl's Story. I read it the first night I got on line. now, I can't find it. Cheryl has passed on now. Al, you know soooo much, soooo give me a clue. :wink: Sorry, I've been having problems with my feet swelling and I haven't been able to be on the fourm as much. Do you have feet swelling now and in the begining? thanks, Mississippi man

Encouraging words to Mississippi man

Al, I just read about your problems. I't o.k. Al, you need us too. We lean on you so, it's your time. Al ,yes God will work this out just let him have it.. Our preacher says when you give it to God, put it on the shelf and don't take it down I've always loved that ,although, I don't always abide by that rule, I sure try. My brother Al 3yrs ago left his wife, got on drugs, and going with bad woman. If pain could bring on AlS that brought mine on. He walked with the Lord 23 yrs, and now he hates me (but, I love him) and anyone who stands in his way. I haven't seen him in a year. I miss him he loved me so much and would have died for.me. Al ,lets keep praying and never give up, your nephew will be back in JESUS NAME. I am a control person also,I always want to fix everything and everybody, but I can't. One thing for sure God can. Thank God, for your Pastor. My husband and I will pray for you....OH also I used to sing at church solo, now I also sing solo (SO LOW you can't here it) I run away from myself.

Hi janf. Are you talking to Big AL or AL. Big AL is MTpockets from Mississippi and I'm AL or GrampAL from Canada. Most of us get feet swelling as our mobility decreases. The muscles atrophy and don't push the blood and fluid out of our fet and back to the heart as well as it used to. I'll try to post a URL for a lady that has some advice about foot swelling.

I know I got big mouth, but tongue?

Another surprise this morning. Woke up at daylight with spasm, charlie horse in right half of tongue? Never had that before. Massaged it and put moist heat on until it let off a little and then sipped some hot coffee. Feels little better now but having trouble swallowing. Knew it was coming, just not this week, with everything else.

I woke my wife up and could not speak to tell her what was happening, so had to use signals. It feels kind of like my muscle on right back of tongue is dead or numb or dumb, take your pick. Anyone else run into this one?

Well, finally back to semi-normal, if there is any such thing for me. Good mood anyway, not crying at least. I did not know about Cheryl passing on. So sorry to hear about it.

Thanks for all the support and comments, I needed them, just hope I can be there for you when you need me.

I sure am glad I'm not God, I don't have to FIX all these problems that keep creeping up. I don't know how He puts up with us sometimes, guess it's just LOVE.

LOVE forgives a multitude of sins and stupidity.

God Bless
Big AL (From Mississippi)
MtPockets:-D

Big Al, Good grief! Hadn't heard of the tongue thing before [cramp], but Al might have. How's your son's head? I heard that story of the missionary [going into town] before, but it's a good one and I'm sure many viewers enjoyed readind it. Barry

Tongue spasm?

Hi Barry,
Son took about 8 stiches in eyelid, said it just missed his eyeball by about 1mm, thank God. Could have blinded him. The grandson that did it is a teenager as usual having a wild streak before growing up. He said some kid in school was passing out something called zanabars, which I understand is zanex in a bar form that you break off the dosage you need. Problem was these kids were taking a whole zanabar each. He was out in the zone when his dad told him to cut the grass, he ran inside got casserole dish and blindsided him up beside the head. His dad is 6ft 6 inches 300lbs. My grandson is 5ft. 10 inches about 135 lbs. After knocking his dad out he ran away from home.

Dang I need to write a book but no one would believe it.

Just glad we got him some help and out of State. Life goes on.

Still have no idea what was going on with the tongue spasm. It's been alright since yesterday. Hope that does not happen again. Really was Weird.

God Bless,
Big AL

Hay Big AL. Maybe you were just talking too much and sprained your tongue. LOL.

Tounge spasms

Yeah AL, my wife said maybe I could wrap my tongue in an ace bandage, but I don't think we have one big enough.

I have been kinda known to not know when to shut up some times. Guess this must have been one of those times.:-D Threw it out of gear.

God Bless
Big AL
Mtpockets
Mississippi

P.S. Just in case it's confusing to some.

Last edited:
Did you delete some pictures AL?

Rainy Day

Hello Everyone:

Big Al, sorry to hear of your crappy week. Sounds like it has been rough for you. I am so glad to hear that you are finding so much comfort in God and your church. It is hard when family matters are piled on top of all of the weight of ALS too. I can't deal with any more than just Gail's ALS, I find. Other good friends of mine, just lost their 8 day old baby last week. I Just can't deal with that. I cried for days. I was so impressed with Gail though, she found the strength to go to the funeral, which was such a hard one. She said that so many people have rallied around her that she should rally back when they need her. I was so proud of her.
She is progressing so quickly and I am so frightened. It is just happening too fast.

Al (Grampa Al) You are NOT allowed to progress! WE NEED YOU HERE! Is it time for another glass of wine? :) :-D

Jan F. Gail's feet are swelling terribly. Her feet are turning a bit purple too. She hates it. She is so thin, and to see her feet so fat, she hates it. I massage her legs and make her put her feet up. Al, that info would be great to have on swelling if you have it.

Well, it is raining here (Everett, Ontario) like crazy I do not like rainy days at all. (Isn't there a song about that?) but I have to go to the dentist, so I hope everyone finds something happy to think about today.

Here is a little, clean Halloween joke for you. (from my 11 year old son)

What does the witch ask for when she checks into a hotel?

"Broom service!:

I know, it is bad, but if you enjoyed it let me know, I have some more. ha ha

love Barbie xo :mrgreen:

Okay... I'll give it a shot.

George W bounced down off of the presidential helicopter that had landed on the White House lawn with a pig under each arm. The marine sargeant who greeted him at the steps snapped to attention and said "Sir... nice pigs sir". George W corrected him saying "sargeant these aren't pigs!... These are Texas Razorback HOGS!... I got one for Secratary Rice and one for Secretary Rumsfeld!" . Confused for a moment the saregeant finally snapped to attention and said" Sir... nice TRADE Sir".

With apologies to all of our American friends... especially those of the republican persuasion!

T.

Cute joke!

Hi Barb how goes it ? I remember when my kids were telling me those great kinda jokes. Unfortunatly they grow up and they stop telling them because the ones they know get kinda .......well you know......grown up. Keep those jokes comin.HA ..HA.. Joe:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back