Country
US
State
ca
City
yucca Valley
Since I am new to ALS I may be wondering about asking questions :D
I really want to learn more about this as two friends have this.. I want
to ask a general question and hopefully am in the correct forum to do so in..

What keeps you motivated and going.. on a daily basis? I do not look into anyones eyes
and see someone with ALS I look into that person eyes and see my friend or my family..

your all in my thoughts as my friends..and individuals :)

Bless
Nala

Getting up every morning to see what people have posted here makes it worthwhile. I want to see my granddaughter from the Philippines at Christmas and my daughters new baby when it is born then. Different reasons than others but I'm sure some will give you some answers. I was wondering where you are from as there is no information in your profile. Hope you don't mind my question. Take care. AL.

Nevermind anyone asking who I am.. I am a 42 year old women I live in yucca valley ca :) .. I have in the past worked as a caregiver in anaheim california which got me started in my love for learning about health related issues. I am a people lover and I try to keep friends family etc that have problems in a straight forward positive mode of thinking.. some days can be hard.. I happened upon this site by doing a search on ALS for a friend :)I have epilepsy which is also I am sure you know a neuroglical disorder.. If you ever need anything I am here AL if not I will keep learning through reading...;)
Thanks for having me here...

Bless
Nala

Welcome. Jump in whenever you can offer any advice. AL.

Hey, Nala,
What keeps me and my husband going is God. He is using this horrible disease to reach people as they see what God can do through His grace in our lives. We get up and praise HIm for a new day and a new beginning to serve Him and wonder how we can touch some live today. I know not everyone feels this way, but I have had such peace and strength. We have many people praying for us and that helps so much. I am new here, too, but welcome you here too. It seems to be such a great help and encouragement to all. This board is good because they know exactly how you feel and what you are going through. As good as people are to us they have no idea what it is really like dealing with this.
Gapeach- Susan Atkins

God is my hiding place!

Thanks for the comments GaPeach. It is a real blessing to know there are other Christians on the forum. And I know this is not the place to get all preachy at the people who are not believers, but for those of you who do not believe in God or who are not Christians, Please bear with us who are, as we try to encourage one another.

You see if I did not have my faith in God to carry me through this time in my life, I don't know how I could deal with it. Some unbelievers call it a crutch, others blame God for their illness and will not forgive Him for giving it to them, and others just have no beliefs at all. I feel very sad for you at such a time in your life. You notice I did not say sorry for you, but sad.

The peace I have received from God after my DX of ALS is something I wish I could put in a bottle and send to every one of you. I know you are sad, mad, and scared. Most people are scared of dying. It amazes my relatives and friends when I say I look forward to leaving this life behind. I have faith in God that a much better place is waiting for me where I will never hurt again, where I will walk again, and where I will meet my Lord, and finally find the Peace that passes all understanding.

Sorry to be so preachy, I do not want to offend anyone, but that's my heart people. That's my life, and legacy. That is how I cope with and overcome this disease. That's all I am or ever will be, a believer.

God Bless
Big AL

Geez AL you're gettin all fancy with the pictures and everything. Trying to make me look bad are you? I don't think anyone minds the religious opinions as long as you don't preach every time you post. Most of us have a belief in something but are less outspoken about it. To each his own. We're all going down the same dark road. Hopefully there will be something at the end for us all. AL.

Preaching

Big Al, Well said. Nice picture of the bird!

I think your beleifs are the same as mine big Al :D alot of people wont tell their real feelings because of todays society and I personally think we all need to step back and see whats really in our hearts... I pray every day it makes my day complete.. I am glad to see more open people here just be you :D

Hugs
Nala

Amen brother, big Al!

Beautifully said! A lot of people ask me why I can accept, and not be angry, that I have ALS. I will not repeat what you have said but I think everyone can read it and understand why we, as Christians, can still sleep at night and face each new day. That's not to say we don't have down times because we do, but there is an inner peace nothing can destroy. The promise and assurance of heaven keeps us going.

The inner peace we have from God is what keeps us calm in the midst of the storm. I praise Him for it.

Better end.......sorry Al - don't want to dishonor your request that we don't get too preachy!

God Bless us ALL!

Well, I gotta say AMEN and AMEN! I won't preach, but I'd like to share a little of my heart and perspective. My husband is recently diagnosed with ALS, but I feel like it is happening to both of us. We've been married 38 years and our love is stronger than ever...we are one. Our DX is so recent, we are both still on medical leave from our jobs, but we will be retiring soon so as not to take advantage of our respective employers...both our bosses have been so supportive and generous with time off without losing benefits or salary, but I don't want to abuse their kindness.

Now for my thoughts about this new direction our life has taken. We were planning to retire in 2 years and had been remodeling the house and carefully saving for the wonderful trips we were planning. The way I see it is that we are retiring earlier, and it is a blessing to be together 24/7. Many people say God never promised us a rose garden, but I believe we have been placed in a wonderful rose garden made just for us...but roses have thorns, and if we want the beauty of the roses, we must endure the pricks of the thorns. I've always tried to find a silver lining in every cloud...thus my nickname of "Pollyanna"...and though the clouds get really dark sometimes, there is a silver lining made of friends, family, church family, and now the new friends I'm meeting on this forum. In life, storms come and go, but I truly believe that when God doesn't calm the storm, He calms His child. My husband calls me his rock, but without God's help I could never do it.

Now...that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it! :-D

Have a great day and squeeze every ounce of joy from each moment you have!

Pollyanna

pollyanna

I just have to tell you,,,Pollyanna is my favorite movie of all times. That little girl was totaly awsome. Growing up i wanted to be like her. I still watch that movie when i have a bad day,,ya know like dealing with mean people all day.

Paula

what keeps me going is waiting for new movies release Tuesdays .When I see a movie coming out in theatres my first thought is I hope I live long enough to see it on dvd .I guess it can be the simple things in life that keep simple people like me going.

I was thinking about that the other day Jim. I'd like to see The Guardian. I know a kid who is a rescue swimmer in the US Coast Guard and I thought about the theater. No way I'd be able to climb the steps to mid theater and down on the floor is too hard on the neck. So I was thinking about it coming on video. Interesting perspective hoping I'll live long enough. I just figured I'd have to wait. Never even thought I wouldn't see it. Hmmm. Interesting. Guess it's the half full or half empty thing.

Last edited:
Hey Paula...I can't believe I was an adult before I saw the movie, but I have been like that little girl, all my life, and now I know why! Sometimes the good is harder to see than at other times, but I know it's still there, and it's always my first instinct to look for it. It's bound to be the way God prepared me to be my husband's "rock" as he calls me. It's truly a blessing, and I'm so thankful.

Today was a pretty tough day...reality can sometimes be pretty hard! We got our first wheelchair and bedside toilet today and it just drove the painful truth a little deeper in our hearts. My husband wouldn't use the toilet, and tonight I thought I was going to have to call 911...he scared me to death! Hyperventilating, heart racing, and he was white as a sheet after using ALL his strength to get up from the regular toilet. He almost didn't make it and I didn't think we were going to be able to get him into the bed. He's been walking with a walker, but it's becoming excruciatingly slow and hard for him. And he hates the wheelchair! I don't know what I'm going to do...but tomorrow the sun will shine again, and we will find a way!

Pollyanna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back