Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
AR
City
Conway
I am a 33 year old male. I have always been healthy and athletic. That is, until a few months ago. For the past year, I have been experiencing constant muscle twitching in both arms and both legs. A few months ago, I was just laying in bed when my entire left arm started tingling and theN went completely numb(I was NOT laying on my arm). A few minutes later, the feeling came back into my arm. But, ever since then, my arm has been noticeably weaker and my fingers are beginning to curl under. My index finger and thumb are the strongest on that hand. I'm also right handed so I don't use my left arm as much. Last week, I noticed that my left leg and foot are weaker and feel heavier. And my foot is beginning to develop a drop foot. Another symptom is that my speech is beginning to develop a slur and is sounding hoarse. I don't think it's a stroke as my face isn't paralyzed and I have feeling in all my extremities. I also have a balance issue when I am standing and walking. Also, my fingers, on both hands, are constantly twitching. I am also having issues with eating and drinking. It's like food and liquids want to, occasionally, godown the wrong tube.

Have you been to a dr yet? That would be my first stop.

you make a few assumptions...dont make the mistake of making things fit..see a medic ...and believe what they say......good luck , johnny

You need to see a doctor about your symptoms. There could be alot of reasons for them. I would recommend as other said in previous posts that you should keep a list for your doctor on your symptom and when they occur. Such as when sleeping, resting, or after exercise etc. That will give him something to go on. Good luck to you, Kim

Firstly, immediately make an appointment with both, a GP and an ENT.
Secondly, if they both find out that your symptoms are related to some neurological problem, rest assured that they will give you a referral to see a Neurologist.
The Neurologist will then determine which tests would be necessary to determine what you may have or to rule out other things.

But, you've got to act now and start making those appointments.
They (GP and ENT) are more knowledgeable about any conditions than anybody else on these Forums.
People here could only make a guess on what you may have but will never replace the opinion and expertise of the experts on the field of Medical Science. Isn't that why they went to College for?

Good luck.

Carlos

I would like to add a new symptom: painful muscle cramps

I would like to add a new symptom: painful muscle cramps

Please take your post to the doctor's with you so you don't omit telling him/her relevant concerns.

Hi,sounds like we have same symptoms, how about time frame? ...I'm 36.

Time frame? At least a couple years. I've had the muscle twitching the longest. But the weakness is still fairly new. And then, of course, all the other symptoms.

Do not want to worry you, but this is what happened to me. Twitching in my upper left arm, went to see the GP who send me to a neurologist. Diagnosis BFS, this was April 2012. I then went to see the head of the neurology department at the Berlin Academic hospital, he came to an unusual diagnosis and said: the complexity on your EKG is such that this could be something worse. Now in June they returned a verdict of MND based on ( very) slow progressing atrophy in my left hand.

What I have not seen in any of these forums is the link between complexity of EKG and the ultimate outcome. In my specific case the muscles really "dance" under the skin, and the Prof mentioned that he has seen this only once in his career.

I'm now taking part in a clinical study for a new Glaxo drug, and getting used to my new status as Guinea Pig.

Hi Berliner. I am guessing what you call an EKG is what we mostly refer to as an EMG? A test where small needles are inserted into the muscles? And you have not read comments about complexity as an interpretation as that is not usually a descriptive term we get from our neuros at least in the US and Canada. I am sorry for your diagnosis but glad you are able to be in a trial. Hope it is effective for you!
Nikki

Hi Nikki, You are right its an EMG, EKG is German. In general there seems to be a big difference with the way they diagnose in the US compared to Germany. Most people here report on lots of tests, whereas here they monitor your psysical progress ( or lack thereoff) more and come to a diagnosis on that basis.

Either way I'm comparitivly lucky that there is slow progress, the main hope is time. Lots of research is being done and I am hopeful that something will create a breakthroug.

alanb1980: In the first post you mentioned you had experienced the muscle twitching for the past year, then you spoke about years? I have had it for 6 years..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back