Reason
Other
Country
US
State
California
City
San Diego
Hi, i have recently been having troubles and am just looking for some advice. I have read all the stickies and am still struggling with what is going on. I am trying very hard to stay away from doctor google and don't want to waste anybody's time, I'm just hoping someone can help. Everything started about 10 months ago while in college. I started getting weird sensations in my head. My neck was hurting, top of my head was buzzing, right arm would fall asleep a lot at night. Blew it off and carried on with my life. A couple weeks later I had some gastro problems (which I know have nothing to do with ALS), some big fears about cancers and things like that, and the anxiety picked up. Mr. Twitchy made land fall and you can guess what I googled next. After a night of googling, I freaked out and spent the night terrified. Next morning I wake up, sore and stiff, trouble shrugging shoulders, trouble walking. After several hospital visits and doctors appointments, my brain has been scanned, I have been scoped, I have been ultrasounded, and I have been tested. Some inflammation in my stomach but nothing that can't be treated. For the most part everything has gone away. Cool!

Well, another month in, I am still getting twitching. I try to blow it off and carry on with my studies. By the way no stress in studies or school. Throughout the semester brings about good days and bad days, some twitching, some not. However, I start to notice that my right leg is being a little slower, along with my right hand. Zero weakness anywhere just slower and stiffer. It continues on and I live for the next 8 months pretty much on a worry, twitching, anxiety, stiff, I'm fine cycle. Fast forward to now, and I feel like things are the same, except for the right leg just doesn't wanna give it all at some points. I work in a cement yard.I am on my feet all day, have never tripped, never fallen, never missed a beat, but in the same moment, something is not right. Twitching remains, but I am still able to throw 90 lb bags of concrete over my shoulder and throw them into trucks. I can still get to the gym and lift 225lbs on the bench. Arms and hands are stable. But when I got onto the treadmill the other day, my lower leg locked on me. Not like the bone, but like the muscle just said no more and I was done. 2:30 into my workout. I got off, walked out of the gym, and haven't missed a step again for the rest of the day.

Lastly, I have dents in me. In the right front part of my leg, and on the right side of my cheek about an inch down from my eye. The eye is very noticeable to me, but nobody has ever said anything. Other than a 1 inch dent in my leg, nothing else seems to be missing. My feet are extremely wrinkly so that is also a bit of a concern

I don't want to be one of the people on here that pissed everyone off and asks the same questions to the point where you ban me. I am just worried and need to put this fear behind me, or face whatever is happening head on. I know I have health anxiety, I am not denying it, I was just hoping for some input. Anything would be appreciated.

Symptoms:
All over twitching
Right sided stiffness and trouble
Buzzing feeling
Dents in face
Wrinkles in feet
Neck pain
Shooting pains down arms/legs

You do not have ALS.

Buzzing, pain, and numbness are sensory symptoms and ALS is a disease of motor neurons.

Twitching is common and nonspecific, so please ignore it, difficult as that may seem.

Dents and asymmetry are also common and not pathological.

It sounds like you do have some anxiety symptoms which can exacerbate all your symptoms. Please work with your doctor to get your anxiety under control. Rest, gentle stretching, hydration and regular exercise are also important.

Thank you for the reply. I guess the weirdest thing is the stiffness I am getting in extremities. I try to avoid them and they just won't go away. And then I get rid of that fear and feel like I am getting better, and my tongue twitches a couple times. I try to talk reason into myself but it is hard when little things keep popping up and reminding me of it. I think there is no way I found a viscous disease by accident and now all of a sudden have acquired it.

Another quick question, would tongue twitching, facial twitching and pain streaking down my face be indicative of anything you have heard of. I want to put this fear behind me but simply cannot.

Dear Deer,

I’m afraid you’re going to have to see a doctor about your symptoms. They are not consistent with ALS. Other than telling you that, we are not in a position to diagnose you on this forum.

Deer,

Of course, I concur that you should see your primary care doc, and that you're not presenting an ALS picture. With the strenuous job you describe, a pinched nerve or overuse injury are certainly possible, in which case, PT can help. Meanwhile, there's microwaveable heating pads, swimming and massage.

A wild hare -- you might also ask about being tested for Lyme if you spend any time in deer country.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for the replies! I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back