Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
06/2021
Country
US
State
IL
They put me on Amitriptyline and that hasn't helped. I just wondered if there are other meds that can help with that and can be taken during the day that's non drowsy or I know there is the option of Botox injections into glands, but wanted to know if anyone thought that helped.
I go back to ALS CLinic on Wed so just want to know what options to bring up.

There are two issues -- reducing saliva that the swallowing muscles are no longer as strong to cope with, and hydration to reduce its thickness since it gets "stuck" in the throat when it has fewer places to easily go.

In addition to the "dry it out approach" that the TCAs like amitriptyline and glycopyrrolate (Robinul) represent, hydration helps to reduce phlegm thickness. Papaya juice or tablets, or pineapple juice may help. Soda helps some. Original Alka Seltzer mixed with water has been used. Warm fruit juice or lemonade may do similar things.

Best,
Laurie

My husband takes 1 600mg of Mucinex in the morning and at 1 at night, a glass of pineapple juice in the morning, and if his saliva is particularly bad and he is choking on it, he will drink a large glass of warm lemon water. All of those in combination have worked fairly well.

I started with scopolamine patch which didn’t help with the large amount of saliva I was producing
Then I was given glycopyrrolate usp which I couldn’t tolerate.
I am now taking atropine sulfate drops. It is an eye drop which I put under my tongue. It has helped tremendously. I also take Zyrtec regularly.I have a suction machine also which I haven’t had to use since taking Atropine. I had to keep in my mouth almost constantly. That or folded square of bounty paper towel as a sponge (which I would change out every five minutes).
Hopefully one of these may help.
Good luck.
Monarch 103

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back