Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
massachusetts
City
weymouth
I was wondering does anyone know what else could cause atrophy other then ALS. Can a back problems that blocks the nerve really cuase atrophy or can other nerve diseases and muscle disease cause it? Is atrophy that seems to happen within 2 month or so be cuased by something other then ALS.? Also is it commom in ALS for the Atrophy to be happening in the same area in both legs at the same time or does it usually happen in done leg then in time mov e to the next?

Hi steve! My husband has been a Diabetic since 1978 or 79, and around 1998 he started showing nerve damage, and his mobility was getting impaired. I knew there was something wrong, and I figured it had to be something related to Diabetes. He went through all kinds of tests then, and they told him that he had Neuropathy. His once muscular legs, arms, and hands lost all muscle, atrophy? I am sure that's what it is! I remember watching his legs and arms twitch, as if he had worms under his skin, thank God I didn't know anything about ALS and its symptoms then. I would have been climbing the walls. My husband's hands are like the hands of a Pals, the only difference is that his fingers are not curled. He still can't hold anything. He can barely get around. Hope this can be of some help, steve, and God bless. (Sorry folks, I did not mean to get off topic. Am only answering a question.)

Irma

icanmanz,

Does your husband have ALS or is it diabetic neuropathy?

Good Questions

Stevef

Good questions. I was wondering the same thing. My husband has atrophy in just his left leg, he now wears a brace for foot drop. He is showing signs of weakness in his right leg as well, but at this point no atrophy.

We first saw a Dr. in Oct. no noticable atrophy. Then in Jan. we went back because of increasing weakness and instability, and at that point there was noticeable atrophy, so this all happened in just 3 months. So I'm curious as well, can it happen that fast with ALS?

Hi Julie! My husband does not have Als. This Neuropathy is part of his being diabetic. He's had it for years.

Irma

Hi Steve,

I am not completly DX. I have either "Atypical ALS" (very slow progression) or I have MMN (multifocal motor neuropathy). Either way I have atrophy in my right hand caused by one or the other disease process. My baby finger is curled since 2002 and the ring finger is a bit curled starting in 2007. My EMG is positive for ALS, but no upper neuron signs. I have atrophy in my right hand and all the fingers except the middle one shake, some of the time. So you might want to check out MMN. Other people with that also have atrophy. Take Care, Peg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back