what does atrophy look like and yeah, I have a neuro appointment!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennibf

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
AL
City
Centreville
what does atrophy look like and yeah! I have a neuro appointment!

I hope, hope, hope I do not have ALS but this is the place where I feel I am understood right now. I hope you do not consider me a nuisance :(

At my husband's insistence we faxed my symptoms to his neuro-surgeon (he's had two disc operations) and his doc called me the next day. He told me that waiting to get into UAB to see the neuro muscular dude could take too long and he wanted to get me in with someone within the week. I was quite surprised. An hour later the guy he highly recommended called and I have an appointment for Wednesday so this is GREAT news. I actually started crying. I have been crying so easily lately. It's VERY embarassing. I am not typically a crier.

Yesterday I cleaned...or I should say I tried to clean. It was almost impossible to do anything for very long. I kept stopping and taking breaks. My left arm and leg were not cooperating. THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING! I am young, right? I am not overweight. I am not lazy. I have so much to do, so much I WANT to do.

Question: what does atrophy start out looking like? My right thigh has a huge area that looks like it's caving and feels like a hill, valley, hill when I run my hand over it.

So, zaphoon will "get" this:

x-ray-clear, alright, that was expected...
MRI-clear, aw shucks, thought it would be disc that could be fixed
bone scan-clear, aw shucks?

At what point do I put a photo on here? I really don't want to be diagnosed with ALS but I feel like I've found a support group for my symptoms, does that make sense?

Do a search under Gen Discussion for hand atrophy pictures. Page 3 post 40. Atrophy of large muscles first is unusual. I would have thought you'd be falling down lots B4 you saw atrophy in large muscles. I wouldn't be worrying about ALS yet.

AL.

Thank you very much :) I found the pictures. I hope you are right, I really think you are right, that it is not ALS but I think it is definitely something....I just want to know what and if there is something that can be done.

Thank you again! I appreciate every single response to my posts!

jennifer

Jenni,

Yep, welcome to the "Aw Shucks!" club. It is scary to suffer from spreading weakness, especially when you see the twitches, have Mr. Babinski glaring at you and stiffness that would put a board to shame.

Hope your appointment Wednesday will provide you with some answers!

Zaphoon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back