Diagnosis
11/2009
Country
US
State
CA
City
Costa Mesa
Every now and then we get a call from a long lost friend/acquaintance who has just heard about my husbands illness, and they have only a vague idea. So I patiently explain and spell the name, it is ALS aka Lou Gehrig's aka MND, etc. Sometimes I will bring up Stephen Hawking's name. Then they say they want to visit. When they come, they still have no clue. Don't these people know how to use the internet? How much effort does it take to visit wikipedia? Definitely it is a lot easier then driving all the way to our house for a visit, right? What do you say to them?

>What do you say to them?

For Me, I send them to the ABCs of ALS on YouTube. If they really care then they'll take the time and learn probably more than they want to know.

Just what you said....look it up. And tell them to call and see if it is ok to come visit. Some people are nosy and feel the need to SEE it up close, you know like a person rubber necking driving by a terrible accident on the highway.

Straight forward and honest is the best way, in my opinion.

My PALS mother is like this.

She lives in another state, and she phones and asks how he is. After this pneumonia I tried to explain it's a typical pattern and she says - well I don't know anything about this disease at all!

She also often says to me - it's so good though that this disease never affects the persons mind isn't it. My husband has FTD, but I don't even begin to try to explain THAT to her!

She has visited once and after watching him choke on some puree, suggested would he rather a nice piece of this chicken we were eating?

*sigh*

I think many PALS and CALS were likewise ignorant of all things ALS until Uncle Lou kicked us in the region! Personally, I don't care if they know anything about ALS; I'm grateful for the concern and the occasional visit. More so if they bring good beer or wine!

I can relate to this discussion.....and still am not telling most people that I have ALS or PBP, it makes for a lengthy conversation, and I can't talk well with my bulbar symptoms. I usually just say I have a rare form of MS, everyone seems to be semi familiar with that. Mostly I just avoid visitors and calls from friends.....I cringe when my phone rings! I hope I get more comfortable with being around people. This self imposed isolation sucks!

Jeff, well said and great attitude. We take these times to be advocates for this disease and educate. But it is easier for us as Tim has perfect speech and is a teacher through and through. If it falls to the CALS who are already have their hands full, it can be overwhelming. When we are at our local mall, Tim gets a lot of questions and comments, as his PWC is not one that is seen often with its outdoor package. I generally keep on shopping leaving him to talk, which he loves.
I do think though the hardest times are with close relatives that don't seem to get it even when it has been explained to them. His older brother who is a dentist told him that maybe exercise would help him develop the muscles back. I wonder how many "spinal" quadriplegics are told to exercise, and that is just what I say. At least spinal quadriplegics can put electrodes on their muscles and the current makes their muscle tense, all Tim gets is a zap, no twitch. I tried it earlier in the disease, to see if it would help with spasms, or slow down atrophy. I've tried vitamins, minerals, supplements, gluten free diet, coconut oil, green and white teas, no fillings in his mouth, organic no msg's, did hours upon hours of research on medical sites that some of the docs I work with got me onto, and had the elders of our church pray over him. Finally I realized I was spending the short time that we had together doing that rather than living life with him and having adventures.

Sorry I got off on a tangent there.

Paulette

>Mostly I just avoid visitors and calls from friends.....I cringe when my phone rings!

Me too! These days I either hand it to Sandy or ignore it.

I'm with you about hating the phone!
I know it's about time to hang it up (pun intended!) at work because in the last two weeks I've had callers ask me "Have you been drinking?", "Are you talking through a straw?" (hey, does anyone ever do that?!?!) and "Did I catch you in the middle of lunch?"
Just for grins, I answered "Yep!" to every one of them.

For the less ridiculous folks, I usually just say that I have a medical condition that affects my speech. To date, no one has asked what that condition is but when one does, I'm gonna tell them its an allergy to stupid people!

I'm with you about hating the phone!
I know it's about time to hang it up (pun intended!) at work because in the last two weeks I've had callers ask me "Have you been drinking?", "Are you talking through a straw?" (hey, does anyone ever do that?!?!) and "Did I catch you in the middle of lunch?"
Just for grins, I answered "Yep!" to every one of them.

For the less ridiculous folks, I usually just say that I have a medical condition that affects my speech. To date, no one has asked what that condition is but when one does, I'm gonna tell them its an allergy to stupid people!

Yea....I have been asked if I was drinking a few times, and it really pisses me off! My voice is also weak and I can't speak with volume! I think the last time I went through a drive up window was about 6 months ago...It has been good for my waist line, I used to be a fast food junkie...what a crappy way to get cured from that.
But I am learning the glass half full approach to life.....thank goodness I can still say "azzhole" and "mutherf#(%@", and my middle finger both work real well....just sayin!

>Yea....I have been asked if I was drinking a few times, and it really pisses me off! My voice is also weak and I can't speak with volume!

the one I hate is the parking ticket machines -- always on the left side just out of reach of the right arm, have to get out to pull the ticket out :-(

I try to look at things on the bright side but that side is dimming. Pals doesn't like visitors anymore and unable to speak so everyone knows not to call for him. I've received get well soon cards for him and think "REALY". I guess people mean well. There are so many people that don't have a clue what ALS is. SAD..........

Debbie

>I've received get well soon cards

Now that *is* funny!

My husband didn't want to tell everyone about his ALS diagnosis for more than an year after his diagnosis. When he finally did started telling people after he began using a walker for support and people will email him about his condition, he always included a link to the article about ALS on Wikipedia.

for me. I tell all --

Ostentatiously in hopes to raise awareness. however, sometimes unusual stugg happens: A recruiter called. I told him yhat not only was I *not*
looking, but that I was not being good recruitment material ... Anyway, this same guy called me back, was donating to the ALS Advocacy cause, and had watched *all* of ABCs #1.

Unbelievable! A 20+ something who was engaged, cared, and took the time to listen!
And then. a peer stopped to by to say he listened to of all the ABCs!

Unbelievable! Shihn jei lah linh nihh! :) ... Al Hamdullihah :) ... let moderation deal with that!

Happy Passover!

Max

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back