Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
BE
State
Oost-Vlaanderen
City
Gent
Hello everybody, I'm Lorenzo 21 years old and from Belgium.
Three months ago I start searching for those fasciculations in my body.

The first site I found was a ALS site and Wikipedia ofcourse.
Can you describe what a fasciculation is or a muscle twitch?

I don't think I have fasciculations but sometimes if I am relaxed I have a little punch in my muscle, feels like something want to break out of my muscle but only one punch.
The doctor gave me magnesium because I am a really stressy person and a hypochonder.

I'm suprised that i am still alive. In my mind I survived 50 heart attacks, 10 different cancers and 3 tumors. Figure of speaking of course.

But in the sticky I found this sentence?

6) One neurologist said that, if after three months of twitching, there is still no muscle weakness, there's really little chance it could be ALS.

Now three months later I have still those muscles who want to break out? Is this ALS then? Because I don't understand the sentence really ...

I'm sorry for your precious time and my bad English

Bye Lorenzo

Most definitely NOT.
You have a few twitches, which is completely normal, and most people have them. Please don't waste another minute even thinking about it. You are 21, have a fun life.

Thank you for your great answer. I know I am still young! This is a great forum... I wish I could find a cure for this horrible disease.
Thank you!

But in the sticky I found this sentence?

6) One neurologist said that, if after three months of twitching, there is still no muscle weakness, there's really little chance it could be ALS.

Now three months later I have still those muscles who want to break out? Is this ALS then? Because I don't understand the sentence really ...

Lorenzo,

What that sentence is the sticky is trying to point out is that fasciculations by themselves are not symptoms of ALS and, therefore, are distinguishable from the types of fasciculations found in benign fasciculation syndrome or other neurological conditions. Because ALS is a progressive condition, other symptoms will occur in those muscle fibers that are fasciculating. First, there will be muscle weakness, as the fasciculating portion of the muscle is no longer controllable by the nervous system. The fasciculating portion does its thing and the real work is done by the remaining healthy muscle fibers.

Second, when the denervation occurs that causes fasciculation, there will also be a corresponding change in muscle tone. Usually, the muscle loses tone and becomes floppy and flaccid.

Third, the next thing that happens to portion of muscle that is fasciculating would be a change in deep tendon reflexes. Those reflexes will become weaker if lower motor neuros are involved and the will become brisker if upper motor neurons are involved.

Finally, after a period of time, the body will attempt to reclaim the components that make up the fasciculating muscle fibers through a process called atrophy. This process causes the muscle fibers to waste away as the body stop sending necessary nutrients to the muscle fibers. Atrophy, therefore, makes the muscles shrink in size.

Therefore, a set of muscle fibers that have been fasciculating for several months, yet show none of the four conditions I listed above -- clinical weakness, hyporeflexia, hypotonia, or atrophy -- are not being affected by ALS, but rather some other process, such as benign fasciculation syndrome (BFS).

Hope this helps.

Wow, beats my reply hands down! But hey it was 4.30 in the morning here, that's my excuse :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back