Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Us
State
NH
City
Manchester
Hello everyone! My name is Jon and I'm a 25 yo Marine Vet and I got out of the Marines about 4 years ago due to back issues. Now I know what you're already thinking... He's 25. I know that since I'm young odds are this is something completely different. I'm not one to jump to conclusions or Google a tooth ache and see "possibly a tumor" and then worry for the next month that I have cancer. So I'll tell you my symptoms and see what you guys think.

About a year and half ago I had part of my disc removed because it was pinching my sciatic nerve causing pain to go down my butt and into my left leg. Ive had chronic back pain ever since the Marine Corps most likely due to carrying heavy gear for mmiles. Since then I've been seeing a chiropractor at the VA. The way I explain my chronic back pain to people is like this. We've all had sore throats. It hurts to swallow but you can still function. You need to drink water even though it hurts. You can get a numbing spray that reduces the pain for a short period. Well imagine having that sore throat for the past 5 years. The chiropractor is my numbing spray for the back pain. Now I know this has nothing to do with ALS but this is where it gets tricky.

After a few weeks of working with the chiropractor he wanted to test my muscle strength. So laying down flat I put my left foot to my right knee with my left knee down. He told me to raise my left knee so it points to the ceiling. I couldn't do it. I could raise it slightly but my leg felt heavy. Like someone was pushing back. I can do it with ease in my right leg. Now another one. Laying down flat and legs straight. Raising my left leg straight
up like you're about to kick the ceiling. I could raise it about 6 inches. Right leg no problem. Also forgot to mention no pain while doing these exercises.

A few weeks after that I noticed moving my left toes was becoming difficult. I cannot raise my left toes up. Only my big toe goes up and the others go down and away from each other. I can no longer raise my left leg up. The knee exercise has become impossible as I'm unable to move it. I have an MRI scheduled soon. I now have a cane to help me walk because I walk like I'm drunk. I cannot stand on my left leg due to balance. My thigh muscle will tense and then relax all on it's own.

So I'm not sure if this is related to my back or is something more serious happening? Hopefully this MRI will help shed some light on the situation but the VA always schedules things waaaaay out. So while I wait I figured I'd ask if anyone else has had these symptoms?

My guess is that is's a lumbar spine issue not a motor neuron disease.

Sorry for the late response. Couldn't remember my password o_O. But yeah you're probably right. We'll see what the doc says when I get the MRI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back