What do you do when PAL can't get to the dr office?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loverly

Distinguished member
Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
CA
City
Orange County
K has had two infections on the last two weeks, uti and conjunctivitis. Both times I spoke with the doc on call instead of her regular physician. Both times they wanted her to come into the office for diagnosis, despite my explanation of her physical condition due to ALS. One nurse was exceptionally rude, "Are you just going to let her suffer?" she asked after I explained it would take monumental effort to bring K in.

It seems no one understands the realities of this disease, or they just don't care? I know I can't diagnose everything, but a UTI? It's not like I was trying to convince them to give me chemo over the phone.

What do you do when your PAL has to see a doc? Are there services that provide home visits?

Duplicate post.

Yes. In Orange County there are concierge doctors, visiting physicians, and doctors who make house calls.
Google those terms to find their phone numbers.
Also, local governments operate disabled taxi services as part of the bus system. Call them.
Medicaid law requires states to operate Non Emergency Medical Transportation.
Medicare might pay for it if the doctor prescribes it.
Call your insurance company.
Finally, ask your regular doctor if they will use Skype to do a virtual house call.

Or hospice, if you're enrolled in hospice, you call and the Nuse comes and talks to doctor to order medicine.

Sherry

There are many video providers that will readily write rx for a UTI and pink eye. That's their bread and butter. Your plan may even pay for it but it's cheap anyway. Search on telemedicine visit and the payor's name, for a start. Traditional Medicare won't pay but many Medicare Advantage plans and other private plans do. Most communities have ARNPs who make house calls and will bill Medicare, if you prefer that. Search on ARNP and house call or home visit.

thank you! i had no idea!

Our General Practitioner is great and will write scripts if I telephone him and tell him the symptoms of whatever is happening at the time. The Hospice nurse is great too. She visits every couple of weeks and I can also telephone her with symptoms and she organises a script. My hubby hasn't seen a doctor in person for more than two years.

I actually have a physician who makes house calls but it took a lot of hunting for one. Of course he told me this last week that he is stopping them because he is too busy. but I would think about hospice for your pals--just for the nurse visits as palliative care. I have begged my pals to do this but he has refused..

Mom's doctor's NP does house calls. Palliative care sends a NP out, too. Just call around. I got out a phone book and just started dialing services. Be vigilant.

Lovely I hope you are making progress.
God bless, Janelle x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back