What do you do just for YOU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well said Jim! My MIL had her leg amputated in May. When she came home from rehab she refused the 3X a week help her insurance paid fully. I think she expected us to drop what we were doing and run over. I will cook and clean but would not help her with personal things. If she fell, I can't get her up. If she got hurt it would be my fault. That's what the aide was for. Sometimes you have to stand your ground no matter how much you love the person.

Thanks Susan, This thread is asking a question that one cannot answer till
they deal with what time they do actually have.
Hopefully, it will be understood that way. But reality does dictate the way
we are treated and the way we treat others so I guess that is where I
was coming from.
My cousin had ALS. His wife and two teenage sons, enabled him to be home.
He was 56 or so when he went to the vent. I talked with her about Eddie.

She told me that she basically, didn't have 5 minutes to herself. Her choice, no
complaints. Wonderful women, and children. One year to the day, he chose to
remove himself from the vent.

He had the family over for cards and food the night before. The next day he went
in and had the vent removed. Wonderful funeral. Friends and family really were
on the same page as my cousin was, Mike. Wonderful man of God.

I know it is a very personal and different choice for others. But the question remains
What you do, just for you, is part and parcel of what you do, just for your pal.
Can you ever get comfortable with that, I suppose not, however, you must and can
find a balance.

The biggest reason I stayed with this thread in this fashion was that I couldn't answer
that question till I came to grips with choices. Cals and pals choices. There are
choices. I choose to be on call for Eddie, 24/7.

Since so many people know Eddie, they are all the time telling me how fortunate he is to
have me. They don't have a clue as to the whole picture of what it takes on my behalf
and on his behalf. "We are in it to win it." We both have a life, we both will die one day.
We both know it. We both enable one another to do the things we do. All our lives
have limitations. Sorry for going on so long, most of you know exactly where I am
coming from. Row, row, row, your boat, gently.

Dani, You asked a very good question, I hope I didn't run the others off. Maybe I have to much
free time. :) Anyway, I hope others will give you some new responses.
God Bless you in your daily planning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back