Status
Not open for further replies.
My boyfriend and I have been together 15 years

We have no kids

We have no pets (I'm allergic)

I live close to New York City

I enjoy running when I'm 20 lbs lighter than I am now

When I was a kid I had severe asthma and couldn't run. I set a goal to complete a half marathon three years ago and did it.

I enjoy travelling, especially to the Caribbean

I've never been to Disney World

I believe in living fearlessly, i.e., feel the fear and do it anyways

The last time I felt fear was when I started a new job 10 weeks ago

I've been an IT Project Manager for 8 years

I bought my dream car, a Dodge Challenger, four years ago

I've been in at least 20 car accidents, three of them major, none of them my fault

I go to physical therapy every week for chronic back and neck problems

I am creative and artistic

I played guitar in a Ramones cover band in my 20's

I started knitting hats over the winter and donated ~70 to organizations for the homeless

I can't cook but I like to eat

I'd rather eat dessert first

I love to shop

I love high heels

I like to live outside my comfort zone

Mike,

My mouth dropped when I read your interesting life story. Thank you for your service!

I think I will miss scuba diving the most. Although I did not want to do it in the beginning, I am so glad my husband pushed me into it. There is nothing like being part of the ocean and seeing the serene beauty of it. The only problems I had was I have always been thin, and the current would take me away and rude scuba divers.

I remember being close to the coral and this stupid diver, who was small and very lean, went under me and his tank hit my face. I pushed his tank away from me and he gave me a dirty look. When we got in the boat, I politely stated to the person in charge to make sure I was never scuba diving with him again.

We then had drinks by the pool, and he was there with his wife. They were giving scuba diving lessons in the pool, and I told him he should get in there and learn how to scuba diving properly (he was a huge bragger on the boat of how good he was). My husband, who does not like confrontation, was not happy with me. The other guy became afraid of me - Be Afraid - Be very Afraid.

Anyways, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Deb

didn't know what a boring life I had until I read about the lives of others ! AF retiree with jobs in administration (legal, human resources, security service) and a key turner in the icbm (intercontinental ballistic missile) business. picked up a couple of degrees at two major ncaa football schools (which I remember most about my education). a career in the human resources field following retirement from the AF. Biggest accomplishment in my lifetime occurred on May 11, 2016 when wife and I celebrated our 59th wedding anniversary. boring life but not bad at all, come to think of it ! !

Star, what year Challenger? I have always been a Mopar guy (Dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler) my dream car is a '69 Road Runner - not going to happen though :(

It's a 2012. I've wanted one since I was 18 but it turned out to be my mid-life crisis gift to self. I love the old cars from the 60's. I've had a Firebird ('77), a Camaro ('82) and a Mustang as well. I have a need for speed :)

Last edited:
:) Pete,
Thank you for this thread. It almost makes me feel normal.

It's a 2012. I've wanted one since I was 18 but it turned out to be my mid-life crisis gift to self. I love the old cars from the 60's. I've had a Firebird ('77), a Camaro ('82) and a Mustang as well. I have a need for speed :)

When I was stationed at RAF Wetersfield I had an Austin Mini... Loved that car.

In the 80s I picked up a pristine 66 Toronado... Loved that as well. Would pass anything on the interstate... except a gas station. Surprised that I never got a speeding ticket in that car. Didn't have a garage at the time, so I passed it on after a few years.

Star, your car is awesome!

My son will be so jealous when I tell him!

He's 11 and way into cars!

Omg, Utica? I lived in Syracuse for college years😊😊😊

Star, the need for speed is a bad one. It has gotten me all my traffic tickets!

I was a land survey tech until 1990 and then studied accounting and business admin and worked for fed govt until medical retirement. I was actually taking courses to be an auctioneer fwhen I was afflicted with als.

I love this thread. Everyone has a great and interesting life story and it's great to know about people outside of an MND context. While mine isn't as rich and eventful as some here, I still enjoy the memories.
I'll add mine:

I worked a few different jobs in my youth- most notably credit card bill collector and baker.

I traveled solo to Zimbabwe, Botswana, Zambia and Namibia when I was 19 and not wise enough to know better. While there I was mugged twice- because I was really really dumb. However only lost a total of 50 rand and escaped with my skin and innocence intact. I am still amazed to this day at both my idiocy and the fact I was not hurt.

I have a degree in Fine Arts and am a trained glass artist and silversmith.

I put myself through school by being a bike courier. And, yes, it really is as much fun as it looks (lucrative too! This was in the olden days before everyone used email). Decided to stop being a courier one day because I flew into a blind rage when someone deliberately cut me off with their giant truck and I chased them down and started whacking the driver's side window with my bike lock. As this was just not who I was, I went to the doctor thinking there was something wrong with me. Turns out I was 3 months pregnant- moody doesn't even begin to describe it. My son is now 16.

Was a stereotypical housewife/stay at home mum for about 6 years. Got bored very quickly with being the lone bohemian tattooed mum on the schoolground.

I am a member of the local lacemaking guild. While I am no longer able to do the fine work I once was, I feel it's important to make sure old skills are not lost.

Helped start the first roller derby league in Vancouver. Played high level AllStar and national teams and represented Canada in a tour of the UK in 2008. I played for 8 years and only stopped when fatigue and lack of leg coordination reared its ugly head and I became too prone to injury. I miss it dreadfully. Men, your locker room talk has NOTHING on what female derby players have going on. I was known for having a bit of a loud mouth on the track.

Worked with the local municipalities/Province of BC and a large insurance company to create an insurance policy that covered a previously uninsured contact sport- this policy is now used for all derby leagues in Canada and served as a tool to legitimize flat track rollerderby as the sport it is today. Suddenly I was the insurance coordinator and liaison for Canadian derby leagues. I HATE paperwork. But apparently I have an eye for detail and a deep distrust of insurance companies, so it worked out.

Attachments

• 1917315_240199480230_1892055_n.jpg
    1917315_240199480230_1892055_n.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 185
  • 263640_10150693392570150_6120644_n.jpg
    263640_10150693392570150_6120644_n.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
I'm also from Upstate NY! Utica...and lived in Syracuse as well. Small world!

I went to collage for one year in Utica; Mowhawk Valley Community College MVCC. I was on the college calendar in 1985 as Mr June! :-?

Wow, some pretty amazing people here.

Here's my story:

I have a PhD in physics. I worked for 20 years developing scientific instrumentation. I was a bit of a workaholic and often logged 60 hour work- weeks. My favorite part of the job was writing the firmware (the code that controls the electronics). I hated interacting with the clients.

I learned to ski when I was 25 years old. I never really got very good at it, but I skied regularly until last year. In my university days, I was also an avid hiker. I once did a 10 day backpacking trip in the Purcell mountains of British Columbia.

My son scores 99 percentile in Verbal Comprehension and Perceptual Reasoning on an IQ test. Despite this, he struggles at school.

I could eat chocolate for breakfast, lunch and dinner, everyday.

I have really cute feet.

One regret is that I have not traveled very much.

Gorby,

It is never to late to travel. Since my diagnosis I did a trip to Toronto, last August we did a cruise that left London, went to Paris, Portland/Dorsett UK, Cork Ireland, Faroe Islands, Rakievik Iceland, Nova Scotia Canada, Boston then home. Just a few weeks ago we got home from a Baltic Cruise that started in Copenhagen, Denmark, went to Stockholm, Sweden, then Talin, Estonia, then St Petersburg Russia, then Keil, Germany.

A cruise is a great way to go and easy with a wheelchair. We have found Wow airlines to be very affordable to get overseas and the cruise to be affordable also, I would recommend Royal Caribean and Princess, stay away from the European cruise lines like MSC the ships are not wheelchair friendly and the staff is quite rude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back