What did everyone do for a living?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to mention that in my husband's 20's he was in a very serious rear end collision and he ended up in the hospital.

My dad has had a small livestock farm forever. He worked at a papermill all of his life. diagnosed at age 70 last week.

Psychologist for the Veterans Administration for 22 years.

Keep Researching!

I have what looks to be ALS to my neurologist and Doc, but have not gotten that diagnosis yet... I was diagnosed as having a neuromuscular disorder. That being said, when my symptoms first appeared i was working a new job at a building that flooded and was full of toxic mold. I got sick right away but pushed myself to work, i stayed sick for two years in that building before we figured it was the mold. I worked when i should not have and i pushed myself to finish my degree by going to school full time at night. I would work eight hours with no break, in the mold building, then i would race home cook supper, do homework with the kids and then go to the college and get home at 11pm. On weekends i would do all my assignments and studying plus all the other things that go along with being a wife and mother... I would tell myself this is what it takes to get ahead in life, and i have to do it. So many other people do it, look at our doctors for crying out loud. Well i was sick the whole time and my body finally MADE me slow down................That was really hard to come to terms with, i still feel inadequate and useless but deep down i know i cant help it... But it is hard not to feel that way... I had the best performance reviews at work and i made straight A's. Now my cable got shut off and my husband is going to have a nervous breakdown from working seven days a week so we can "not Make it" That being said, I also have two beautiful boys and the sun is shining and i can still walk talk and complain! I have a lot to be thankful for and this forum and ALS make me realize that. I wish my husband wasn't so stressed....... It is not weird that you want to find out how your husband got sick, you love him and want to make sense of all of it. How can you make sense of something that has no known cause or cure for that matter?

I was a medical assistant for gasto and cardio MDs Pat1

i was a produce manager in a supermarket on long island for the past twenty years

My mum worked in a photographers studio back in the 1960's and then stayed home to raise our family until the mid 80's. She worked for the CBC for about 10 years in the 90's. Just before her diagnosis, she worked as a home installations manager. She was active and completed a half marathon about 6 months before onset of symptoms. She had a severe month long virus and 8 hour migraine just weeks before symptoms started. Which were symptoms of the other? Who knows... great thread though!

Retired

I am a retired financial assistant for JCPenney. I am 64 and have just been diagnosed, after having two major back surgeries .My husband and I traveled out of the US two times a year, and we had just returned from the Caribbean when symptoms started.
Linda

dads work and condition update

HI my dad was in sales all of his life. Mostly heating and airconditioning. Who knows how he got this stupid disease. I hate it. It has been tough taking care of him. Now we are forced to look into a hospice home or nursing home for him. He still weighs 200 pounds. Mom and I have not the strength to move him around and the hoyer lift is going to be hard to manage in their house. I am very upset over this I still want him at home as does mom. :cry:

My mom did volunteer work while my brother and I were growing up, mostly with youth empowerment and HIV/AIDs education. She volunteered at our summer camp for years. Prior to her diagnosis she was doing conference and convention planning for government agencies. She was a perfectionist and worked like a dog. So, no strange pesticides or exposure to other sorts of things. Just crap luck it seems like!

Was a spinning instructor,cheeleading coach

Hey there to all out there. I am new to join the group. I was recently diagnosed in August 2007 after going to the Mayo clinic in Minnesota. I was a spinning instructor, cheerleading coach and an administrative assistant for an accounting firm. I had sprained my ankle in one of my classes in July 2006. I went to a orthepedic for about 3 months, and he said I need to go see a neurologist. I went to several different neurologists and was not getting any better. In January 2007 went to the Cleveland Clinic in Weston, Florida to a new neurologist. I was on crutches and my left ankle was now gowing up my left leg. After being treated with IVIG gammuglobin for Feb., March, April, May,June I was not getting any better, in fact it was entirely in my left leg and my right leg was becoming weaker. I was told I need to go to the mayo clinic, and there they told me I had ALS and had 2-5 years to live. I am only 36 with 2 small children and divorced. I was devastated, still am. I am confined to a wheelchair and unable to move my lower extremities. If any of you have any advice for me, I would greatly appreciate anything. I am in severe depression, and my children are scared for mommy. I am so greatful for finding this website, and hope to make friends who are going through the same thing. This is very overwhelming. Thank youfor listening.

Hi there. Welcome to the site but we are sorry that you have to be here. Have you registered with ALSA/MDA?
They have support groups and people that can come out and explain options and programs available for help for you.
AL.

My husband Charlie was working as a delivery driver for FedEX when he experienced dropping boxes, etc. He quit this and went to work as a CSR (Customer Service Rep) at home and now he is unable to do this due to his voice.

Now we are applying for disability with our company, along with SSDI.

I checked with my family doctor and he said it is a toxin in the environment.

Hi,

I was an mental health care person, educator and sometimes waitress, including teacher, consutant, assistant principal and part time college instructor. Family bread winner with stay at home husband/parent - two daughters. Also Working on my PhD (1/2 done) when had to retire due to ALS DX. Peg

My husband owned a pest control business, then an industrial radiator shop and then worked in the moving industry in sales. He thinks he became poisoned by pesticides. After all, have you seen what pyrethrum can do to an insect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back