02/2013
Country
US
State
WI
City
Eau Claire
Hello all....

Some of you have read about my situation as far as testing I've had done and the findings by Wright of my EMG. So far it's still speech issues with me.

My question is...how bad does your symptom/s have to be before a person is able to put in for disability?

I'm not looking to go on disability anytime soon, but sooner or later my speech will be to the point that I will no longer be able to do my current job. Does the Social Security administration care if it's your present job that's affected? In other words, would they say, get a job where talking isn't required?
I work for the federal government and can collect disability retirement from them when I'm no longer able to perform the minimum requirements for my job, however, I have to apply and be approved for SSDI when applying for disability with the DHS.

I am currently a 20% disabled Air Force veteran due to chemical/industrial dermatitis (their words, not mine). I've dealt with the VA several times in the past and wondered what their standing is on neurological problems?

Any information is appreciated!

The problem with the VA is too many MD's involved, with residents and students. Each time you go, you have the chance of being examined by a different neurologist that may or may not be certified in neuro-muscular diseases. So they all have different results in exams and how they conduct them. Even the results of EMG's can vary from one MD to the other. In the training manuals for the EMG equipment it warns that the results are operator sensitive and different MD's can achieve different results based on their level of experience.

So the best advice I can give, is to be very proactive in your diagnosed, educated yourself to the point you become an expert in all diagnostic testing. Remember the MD, became educated one page at a time and so can you, the same material he used is available to everyone.

I was told when my wife filed for SS disability that a diagnosis of ALS carries a preemptive assumption of disability. Her claim was approved very quickly. I hope this helps you.

I used an ALS clinic/doctor for diagnosis. The VA accepted it and as of about one year this gives automatic 100% disability. Fine you local PVA rep and they can help guide you. Mine is great, others not so much though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back