Other
Country
RO
State
Romania
City
Bucharest
Hi everybody,
I want to share with you my symptoms. I am 27 years old. Since January 2007, so a year now, I wake up in the middle of the night with my hands benumbed, not insensitive because I can feel and move them, but like the blood is not circulating inside. In the palm, or only the two last fingers, or all the fingers, at left or right hand, only the palm, or up to the elbow, or sometimes all my hand. At the beginning this was not painful, and rather a light symptom, but in months it become more intense, and painful, and seems also like creeps, like stiffed, or like an interior burning of the meet/muscles, and it goes away rather fast in one or two minutes, when I repeatedly open and close my fist. Lately, my flesh inside hurts, like it is burning or like it is stuck, like strained. This is happening only in my sleep not only at night but also in the rare times when I sleep at noon.
Two weeks ago my big finger from one foot also had this symptom. More recently it is more like having needles in my hand, palm, or arm. Only a few times, 3-4 my hand was like a wood, like an object, completely, and only two or three times it was like heavy, especially in the biceps. But this is very rare, while creeps and numbness I have almost all nights, more or less intense. Two nights before I woke up with al my hand very contracted, and very rigid, and like burning, hot.
Rarely, when I stay in bed or on a chair, one of me feet is completely in the situation like blood is not circulating at all inside, but it is very painful after.
Also, sometimes, not so often, I have, when I am awake, a kind of very light muscular spasms or fasciculation: a small part of one of my muscles (biceps, of the muscle up on my knee, of my eyelid, or a small one over one rib, etc, but this doesn't hurt at all, it's only extremely annoying, and never had that before.
Also, I have often sensations of cold, and light frissons, and especially cold sensation all along my spinal column.
I also have sometimes a imperceptible from outside kind of tremble, shiver. It is a trembling that I can feel inside. Sometimes also my hand is trembling, specially the right one where the symptoms at night are more intense, or my fingers are trembling, but not so often.
Also I fell my hands a kind of weakened, especially after I have those crisis at night, but they recover, and I can perfectly use them. Sometimes I feel tired.
I have been to several neurologists that told me these are not neurological symptoms (?) and argue that my 3 EMG that I took are in normal limits, and show no neurological dysfunction. I do not trust them very much. Also, they are not telling me anything on what that might be. And because my last year was a nightmare and I am very scared that it might be ALS, they are only giving me anti-stress medication, as if it might be good at anything...
Not only I fear I know what it is, but I also think that whatever it is, including ALS, it acts like the result of a virus or something similar, because some of this manifestations are very similar to someone that had ALS and there are some (too easy ways), that it might have been transmitted to me.
Your opinions would help me, I also read other people here have similar symptoms. Also I want to go in other country to have some proper examinations, I do not know were to go and how to find a really good neurologist. I was also wondering if a magnetic resonance test of the spinal and brain might show something, because the EMGs I took seem to be normal...Anyway, what I feel is far from being normal, funny or to give me the impression that will dissapear with a tea or aspirin...
Thanks,

It could be a number of things, is the emg the only test you had?
Yes, it could be comimg from your cervical spine. It could be small fiber nueropathy which does not show on Emg and you get all the sensory symtoms that you are explaining.

It sounds like you have mostly sensory symptoms which is not typical of ALS. It doesn't sound like ALS at all . . . and no, you can't "catch" ALS from someone. That's the second time I've seen that in a thread today. Where on earth did that get started?
Go to another neurologist and get a firm diagnosis. What you have does not sound life-threatening, but still needs to be adressed.

not only sensitive

Thaks for your very encouraging answers. I don't know much about medecine, but cold sensations, shiver, and interior burning sensation in my hands at night, stiffed hands, weakness in hands the other day, doesn't seem to be only sensitive problems.
For example, this night I woke up with three fingers from my right hand very hot, like burning inside and contracted, rigid, stiffed and benumbed at the same time. I also feel my hand, from the wrist to the fingers weakened. I don't know what it is, but I fell bad, ill, something is so wrong but I don't know why.
I only had an EMG, in fact three, theyr are ok, and also blood tests, also ok.I also will have a magnetic resonnance test for spine and brain.
I have been to may neurologists, but they are unable to give me a diagnosis, so I think I should go to another country to do this.
I don't know what other tests to do, what cand you advice me?
Any advice could be useful.
Thanks
PS: Since the causes of ALS are unknown, it is not excluded that it is provoqued by a virus, in fact I read somethings about that, and I asked to see your opinion, and most of all the experience of people who have ALS and could wonder or try to remember if they ever met and interacted with someone having ALS before even having the first symptom. It is just a question, I do not want to argue anything. I just wonder, because I knew someone who had ALS, and some of these symtomps are quite similar with what he had, that,s why I need your opinions on that.

Akka, ALS is not contagious! There has been research as to whether onset precludes other external factors (environment, virus etc) in combination with internal factors (certain genes, family history) but the fact that 90% of all cases are sporadic firmly point towards an unknown and certainly not contagious cause.

Akka,
Your first symptoms sounds to me like my severe Carpal Tunnel that I have let go for about 30 years and have refused surgery. It not only is in my wrists, but now goes all the way up the back of my head. I have pain more, especially when I am working and doing repetitive motion. What do you do? Do you spend much of your day in repetitive motion that might cause tendonitus or Carpal Tunnel? An Emg of your arms would reveal this though, as mine did. I don't think you have ALS either. I agree with my conrades here on the forum. A neurologist is still the doctor to keep going to and have further tests. I wish you all the best as you persue this. M

Marjorie,
Thank you for your answer. I have this symptoms only at night, it is not pain, but interior burning, heat, numbness, hands are stiffed, and also I fell them weak and tired. Neurologists said it is no carpel tunnel, and also emg did not show anything. I also have cold sensation in my body, does carpel tunnel causes cold and shivering, and weakness in hands? What other tests should I do?
Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back