Reason
Loved one DX
Country
UK
State
Surrey
City
Dorking
My Dad was diagnosed with MND in Spetember of last year and I have read quite a bit about MND ever since but can find no answer as to what causes MND. Are you born with it? Do you catch it? Does something you've done in your life leave you more open to catching it? Is it hereditary?
Thanks in advance for your answers and apologies if someone has already asked these questions

If they knew what caused it they might have a clue to finding a cure. Has your dad and family given blood to the mnd ass blood bank for research? I also go to an mnd assoc clinic where I have a fantastic neuro who is heavily into research, along with a neuro from Oxford, and they have monthly conference calls to others in research, to discuss all options. They are also in touch with Kings College London. Look up DENDRON who also work with them. We have also filled in several questionaires for research. Please PM me if you want to know more. There were several articles about these doctors in the Autumn 2008 Thumbprint from the mnd assoc. My neuro is also preparing his own trial, nothing to do with the uk lithium trial.

Here, here. We have participated in all the surveys and tests, and Ive done marathons etc for the Motor Neuron Research Foundation. A lot is being done both her and abroad to discover why and how you get mnd, and to hopefully find a cure.
We went to see one healer, and he said he thinks it is something to do with enviroment, either something you eat, drink or put into your body etc.
He said you've never heard of an eskimo with mnd or someone in a third world country. But then dont they die quite young anyway, and isnt mnd mainly in the age group 50+
A lot of ifs and buts......
I find it strange, and it was mentioned a lot in the surveys, that it tends to be common in people that had strenuous jobs,firemen etc or athletes. My mum was a widow from 34years old, and worked all her life, she worked in a bar for years, carrying barrells etc, then as a cleaner in the airport, buffing floors etc? Again who knows?

All we can do is put our faith in the scientists out there and hope they find the answers one day soon;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back