What can I learn/do about my immune system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rulimping

Diagnosis
11/2010
Country
aus
State
Vic
City
Melbourne
As newly diagnosed with MMN, and having been fit & healthy to date, I would like to understand more about my immune system & what I can do about it, if at all.

I'm interested in other people's learnings from your condition and treatment - altho' I get it's very individual, eg:

• stress & work levels
  • diet
  • exercise
  • meditation
  • vitamins
etc

Other than my prescribed medicine (currently IVIG), is there anything I can do to influence my immune system's over-reaction - or not?

Where are there good places to look - eg other forums?

Thanks & regards

Hi Rulimping,

Your bullet points are it as far as any real changes and improvements. I have read about different diets for all sorts of things but never specifically about MMN. I saw my neuros last Thursday and asked about exercise. I have been lifting weights but not doing much cardio kinds of exercise as it wears me out pretty fast and I hate it anyway. So part of that is lazy with an excuse. But I was also a bit afraid of "using up my energy." They encouraged me to do at least 20 minutes of treadmill or swim or whatever to really work up a sweat. So tomorrow I begin a new regiment. I have lost about 25 pounds now and want another 15-20 off which could not hurt me.

So after four years of reading and searching all I have found really is the IVIG and eat wisely rest and work out. If you do come across anything else please let me know.

Also when I asked my prognosis... the neuros said (which I found helpful) - The past is indicative of the future - if your progression is slow, it will continue to be so and you can rest easy that keeping yourself as healthy as possible in all the general ways will help you live best with MMN. That's what I have learned. Probably not helpful, and certainly not very exciting but ... makes me feel better. Best Wishes, Peg

Thanks Peg, that helps.

I have also noticed that I am fatiguing faster with exercise - and that's just 5km on the exercise bike. I find swimming really good - I have one very dodgy hand (radial nerve), but I'm not swimming in circles yet! I'll keep up the exercise tho', otherwise I imagine it will just exacerbate the weakness issues, and the other helath benefits are vital. Congrats on your weight loss, that's fantastic!

I'll keep looking on autoimmunity, and will ask my neuro. If I find anything, I'll post it here.

I haven't told people about my illness yet. It will be interesting to see how people respond to the autoimmune side of it....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back