10/2008
Country
US
State
New York
City
Brooklyn
Hi,

It's been a month since my 87 year old mother was diagnosed with ALS. Although I believe she knows she has something bad, she hasn't been told that she has ALS.
Right now the disease is manifesting itself primarily in her speech, although her walking isn't what it used to be (she is after all 87 years old!). I am her primary care giver, and would like to find out what resources are available and how to get in touch with those resources before the time comes when we actually need them. I have no idea how to handle this, and am scared silly.
We are in Brooklyn, NY, and I'm sure there are plenty of things out there. But I have no idea what we'll be needing or how to get in touch.
Any help/ideas/suggestions would be more than appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi, Rafc .... I'm so sorry about your mom's diagnosis. I'm glad you found this forum,
as there are a lot of caregivers here who know just what you are going through.

First, I'd suggest you get in touch with the ALS Assoc. They are a tremendous resource, and have equipment to loan, and advice and support. My ALSA rep came to the house to meet me, and assess what I would be needing. The Muscular Dystrophy Assn. (Jerry's Kids) also helps out with ALS patients.

I know it's overwhelming at first, but there are resources to help you and your mother through this.

Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back