Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksea

Legendary member
Reason
Other
Country
HM
My son and I will be near a slow moving river on Father's Day. I was trying to come up with some sort of celebration incorporating the movement of the water down stream. I thought about making a marshmallow boat with a toothpick as a mast with his picture as the sail, but that would be polluting and I also don't want to attract a bear as it floats away! Thought about notes in the bottle with the pic, but then again you have the polluting factor.

Any ideas? They don't have to be "river related," but I don't want the day to go by without remembering what a great father he was.

Father's day would be a great day to start a journal. Get a nice journal, maybe paste a card inside cover. You guys could record memories, favorite story he told over and over, etc. Something he can add to with passing time as memories come to mind add them to the journal. Your son would then have something to share with his children one day.

Or, just plant a tree, if memories are too sore at the present time.

Just being together by the river with some good food and a blanket sounds nice CJ. Maybe letting go of a helium balloon with your husband's name on it wouldn't be too much pollution?

a tree branch or piece of wood from your backyard, maybe with initials carved into it - let it float downstream

I guess I could always light it afire and it could float away like a Viking's burial or as in some versions of King Arthur's burial. (No bears, no paper in the river) I think my husband would've liked that! We used to tell our son that a print we had hanging on the wall was his daddy and me. It was a Frank Bernard Dicksee (don't recollect the name of painting). The "lady" had long red hair and was perched on a horse, leaning in for a kiss from her knight. I have a Robin Hood "replica" sword hanging on the wall and my husband would tell our son that was his sword from the painting. Poor kid! He believed it for the longest time!

Last edited:
Tree branch might be an idea! Balloon too. Journaling is a good idea and I bought a journal book for my son. Don't know if he's ready yet. Thanks, y'all!

CJ,
I often think about what my kids will do once I'm gone, and your post makes me a little teary eyed.

I must be so hard for you guys, I'm sad for you, but it sounds like you've got some great memories.

Maybe a Timecapsule with some memories that you can add to every year.

Take care,
Casey

I think the boat idea with his picture as the sail is a great idea, instead of marshmellows you could make one out of sticks and leaves and twigs made with love, all organic and let him sale slowly down river, while recalling all the wonderful memories you all shared. {{Big HUGS}}

It's a tough one, CJ. Some great ideas here though. I asked our girls what they would like to do this Father's day, to pay homage to Bob, and they said just to be here, at our home, together. I thought they might want to do something different but that's what they're choosing. I'm sure it's going to be a very difficult day for you and your son and all the other's who have lost husbands, fathers, uncles, brother's, etc. Ugh! So sorry!

For our first Father's Day without thier Dadda, I have t-shirts for each of us. On William's is a picture of him and his Dadda. On Katie's is a picture of her and her Dadda. And on mine, will be my sweetheart with his little loves. We'll wear these to my parent's church. Then afterwards, I am taking them to his grave, Getting a sky lantern, and putting thier handprints on it, then writing on it, lighting it, and watching it go up in the air. Then William will be leaving a Thomas the Train at his grave and Katie will be leaving a stuffed giraffe animal.

Its not much, but I hope it will be meaningful. <3

My Dad would always buy my Mom on Mother's Day 4 red roses & 2 yellow to represent us 6 kids. The red for us kids still here & yellow for my 2 brothers that have passed. He wasn't here this past mothers day so my sister sent her the flowers.

I was thinking of sending balloons up to him~4 red & 2 yellow on Father's Day maybe with notes attached.

Hope that doesn't pollute too much?

I like the tree branch idea & journaling. All good ideas, love the fire float too!

Sixth, my Dad would always give me a yellow rose for special events, whether it was my kids' births, etc. When I visit his grave at Bourne National Cemetary (over an hour away with no traffic) on Cape Cod, I always try to bring a single yellow rose for his grave. And, since they always take arrangements off at the national cemetaries, my kids hide pennies around the flat marker in the grass. He used to always give them pennies when they were little...

What about decorating some rocks to throw in the river?

How about you skip stones... and with each stone you include a memory?

Cj whatever you do, try to have a little fun. Hugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back