Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Groves
I am a 47 year old woman who is on a low dose thyroid medicine and a hormone patch for menopause symptoms. It has been a very stressful summer for me with some health issues, had to redo mammogram to make sure everything was ok and have to have another look at my ovary in October. I have also had the stress of being with my mother in law when she passed away in August. When knew the time was getting close but I have never been through anything of this sort before.

My symptoms started with the following: September 10- My tongue felt very heavy in my mouth when I answered the phone at work. It only lasted a second but I kept saying my name to see if I was saying it weird.

That weekend when looked up tongue felt heavy what pops up but ALS. I tried to ignore this but the next day at church my left arm felt a little tingly. It has done this before and I though it was either my bra being too tight or it could be me holding my nook with my left hand at night and reading exclusively with that arm. That night went to say social and said soshal.

Monday Sept. 16 very conscious of speech. Felt like I was talking weird and trying to be very precise. Looked on ALS websites at work a little. Did not get much sleep.

Tuesday the 17 of September- Had a doctors appointment and looked on ALS forums here all day and by the time I got to doctor I was shaking and my voice was raspy. She talked to me about everything, told me she thinks I have postnasal drip causing the raspyness and some allergies, though I don't every remember suffering with them before. Told me she thinks nothing is wrong but she is sending me to neurologist to make sure and ease my anxiety.

Monday morning the 22 of September I went to say sausage and said saushage. I corrected it immediately. I correct every time I say something as I hear or feel it.

I have spent the past few days constantly checking my tongue, opening and closing my mouth, wondering if my tongue deviates or shakes. I have so much anxiety it is unreal. I am still raspy a week later and have a lot of mucus that I spit out or swallow. I have opened my jaw so much that my TMJ started again and my right jaw popped very loudly. The only other symptom I have is my thighs ache at night and have for a long time. Not always but some nights I take a tylenol.

Went to neurologist today and he listened to me talk for about 30 minutes, go through all of my symptoms and told me that I was too anxious and that I have to calm down. I told him that since I saw ALS I have been this crazy. We talked about my symptoms, he tested my reflexes, raise eyebrows, touch finger to nose etc. Said all of that was good looked ok. I asked if he needed to look in my mouth and he said no. He said he is going to do an EMG and that will tell him whatever he needs to know. He said he heard no slurring. There was actually a man talking in the waiting room and I could very distinctly hear him slurring words.

I told him I felt crazy and he then went through an extensive talk to me about women and stress and how he feels that from mid 40's to age 55 women start to really worry about their health and that at about 55 it appears to lessen. He thinks it may be hormonal as the body is changing so much and we are more focused on ourselves. He also told me he is going to do these tests and that hopefully tests rule out me being sick but that once this is done I have to try to find a way to calm myself so I can get to 55 and have the worries be over. He kind of laughed when he said this and so did I. He is going to do an MRI to make sure no stroke. And I went and did bloodwork for Myesthenia Gravis as he said this can cause hoarseness. Although he said mine is coming and going. I asked him if stress and anxiety can make your tongue feel heavy and he said anxiety can kill you, cause heart attacks etc. I go Tuesday for the EMG. He said he was going to do just the arms. I said not the tongue and he said well the arms will tell me what I need to know about the tongue. But he said he would stick the needle in the tongue or anywhere else I asked if it makes me not worry about ALS. That made me really laugh! He did tell me that he though I was quite young for ALS. I told him that the websites say 40 or middle age. He said he has had 2 and they were both older 70 and 80 something.

I liked him and I am going to wait for Tuesday and hope for the best. I just wish I could have the EMG tomorrow.

Your Neuro sounds kind and smart. Your symptoms don't sound like ALS at all. Sounds like stress.

He was kind. We live an hour and a half from Houston so I know in the back of my mind that I can go there if I need to but my regular doctor said they send alot of patients to this neurologist and that he is pretty good about assessing them and them referring on if he needs to.

He came and sat in the chair in from of me put his hands on my shoulders and eased me back in the chair and told me how anxious I was.

Anyway, I am going to try to regroup and wait until Tuesday. This initial problem, the heavy tongue, happened 2 days after we went to read my mother in laws will and my brother in law and sister in law acted badly and upset my husband. I had to leave the house to keep my mouth shut from saying more than I did. Maybe it is just stress. I have just never had anything like this happen before.

I think you can rest easy about als. Your dr sounded like he was very thorough. Tuesday is not that far away so try to find something that relaxes you. When you go for your emg, don't have any lotion on your skin. It makes the test a little more uncomfortable. I am sure you will be fine and it is all anxiety related.

You are definitely under a lot of stress, so give your self a break! I like the way your neuro sounds--good bedside manner you don't usually find. But really, I am 50 and it is a tough age for women, no doubt. especially with the recent death of your mil you have had a tough summer. best advice, stay off the internet symptom checkers! they show you the most rare diseases as frequently as the most common illnesses, and scare everyone to death.

When I was experiencing a lot of anxiety a couple of years ago, I took Xanax as needed and it completely calmed me down. my regular GP prescribed it for me and after a few months I felt better and more in control, and don't need it anymore.

what ever happens at the neuro on Tuesday, believe him when he tells you you're fine. do not keep searching and looking at symptoms because I guarantee you they will get worse the more you worry about them. see if he will give you a script for Xanax --just a low dose to help you get through the tough times.

good luck--I am sure it will be fine!

You guys are great. I feel like an idiot even posting. I didn't tell my husband about the visit today as I didn't want to worry him. We had a health scare with him in 2010 and we ended up at St. Luke's Hospital in Houston (fabulous hospital by the way). They thought he had a GIST which is a very nasty sarcoma of the soft tissues. I worried myself sick about him and I don't want him to worry about me like that if there is no reason. It ended up being pancreatic material that had lodged in his duodenum. Very rare. But the 6 weeks of waiting for surgery almost did me in.

Fear and anxiety will really do a number on you.

Nothing wrong with you posting. If it makes you feel better and helps with the anxiety then its good. Good luck with Tuesday.

Oh Barbie I do have some Xanax. My regular doctor gave me some and I have been taking 1/2 of one to sleep. You know I get up at 4:30 in the morning and I swear every time I stifle a yawn I wonder if I am yawning too much or if it is breathing problems. Could be I get up at 4:30.

Thank you all for replying back. I wish I could step through the computer and give you a hug for trying to make me feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back