Diagnosis
11/1985
Country
US
State
IN
City
Fort Wayne
My husband works a few hours a week at a backyard birding shop. Seed is delivered early on Monday mornings while the store is closed. Unloading and storing the seed takes only an hour or so, so I listen to a book rather than have my computer set up as I usually do. And rather than being in the back room, I am in the store because the back room gets really cold while they bring the seed in. One day I was happily reclining in my power chair, heavy winter poncho over me, ventilator softly humming and puffing, and headphones on. I must have dozed off because I wasn't aware that a couple had come in even though the store wasn't actually open then. The boss, Steve was waiting on them when the woman said "That looks so real!" Steve wasn't sure what she was referring to so said nothing. They came up to the check out counter to pay -- no more than 5 feet away from me -- and the woman repeated her comment. This time Steve realized she was talking about ME! He told her I was John’s wife and listening to a CD. The woman was completely embarrassed, her husband rolled his eyes, and they escaped.

We have never figured out why she though a bird seed store would have a mannequin of a person sleeping in a wheelchair!https://www.alsforums.com/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif Now when I close my eyes in my wheelchair I announce that I am not napping, just practicing looking real!

Too funny, pity you didn't open your eyes and just smile at them, that would have sent them running!

Ha! Great story.

Lol! Poor lady probably was dying of embarrassment on the way home!

:roll: oh my gosh!

I've noticed that I've become an "Uncomfortable Curiosity". In the presence of strangers and acquaintances. Especially if they know I have ALS. I'm getting used to it.
Marty

I'd love to hear the story they tell of the whole thing lolol

Diane, your story reminds me of a Halloween trick that my husband used to play. He'd dress in his Grim Reaper custume and sit very still with the candy bowl on his lap. People naturally thought that he was a dummy. As they reached for the candy he'd reach out toward them. OMG---one mom went screaming down the block, leaving her child behind! Can you image the woman's face if you'd asked her to pipe down because she was disturbing your nap?

Two good laughs in one thread ! ! ! Love it !

Heheheheheeee! Thanks for the good giggles ;-)

Too funny!

Janie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back