Not open for further replies.

Ceedee

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hey everyone, I mean no offense to people that are diagnosed als but I have been having problems and I thought asking people that have experience would be a good idea before I go to a doctor.

So my problems have started last June (about 7 months ago). Every time I eat I have to clear my throat of mucus, sometimes it happens without eating, like when I’m getting up and moving around after I wake up. I don’t choke or anything, I just have to clear my phlegmy throat and have a bit of a gravelly voice. I sometimes I get what kinda feels like a heartburn in my throat late at night after drinking alcohol or soda which makes me think it’s acid reflux, but I’ve had reflux before and it’s never happened like this

I also get sore neck on my left side that comes and goes. my shoulder and neck are also achy most mornings.

Lastly my fingers on my left side (some times on my right) will tingling and feel kinda numb when I hold them in a certain position for awhile. It happens a lot when I’m walking to my car holding a grocery bag.

I’m an otherwise healthy 26 year old that works out 4 days a week so I’m confused why I’m having these problems and I’m worried that maybe I have weakening muscles in my throat/neck causing these weird problems.
Thanks-

Hi there-

Please read here: Read Before Posting

If you have any further questions after reading the above, you should contact your doctor. As you will read in that linked post, you do not list anything remotely like ALS symptoms.

All the best

I mean no offence back - but if you have had symptoms worrying you for 7 months, of course you go and see a doctor.
Let us know what they say, but you are unlikely to be dying of a rare disease.

Hey thanks for the reply. You and ShiftKicker are probably right.

I’ve only been to an ENT and they didn’t see anything bad through the endoscopy they gave me. I guess I could try to get a referral to a neurologist from my GP, but you both said it’s most likely not ALS, so I probably shouldn’t worry.

Thanks again!

I would have a good visit with your GP - they can give you a really good indication of what needs investigating, rather than you trying to figure what referrals they should give you.
All the very best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back