Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
State
QC
City
Montreal
Hi everybody, in March 2019 I had a molar pregnancy and lost 20kg. During the pregnancy, I began to have left ring finger left hand and left arm tremor with twitching first in my left arm then everywhere and shortness of breath, stiff neck and headache. My GP did some basic tests blood and weakness who were ok and said no need to see a neurologist. Between that time and now I still had some tremors, twitches but not as bad as during the pregnancy so I got on with my life. I just learned that I am 3 weeks pregnant but I knew something was going on because 2 weeks ago my left ring finger, left hand, and left arm began twitching and having bad tremors again with shortness of breath stiff neck and headache exactly as last time. My GP wants to see me in a month in person to assess again the situation but said my hand would not have been functional anymore in that amount of time. Can ALS present that way? Can a beginning of pregnancy exacerbate symptoms? Thank you!

I'm very sorry for your pregnancy loss last year, and hope that this new one comes to fruition. ALS would not present as you describe, but I would ask your OB to screen you for hypertension, hyperglycemia, and do full blood work now and at regular intervals, to safeguard your overall health.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you but I do all the bloodwork and other tests at least 1x per year and all seems fine. I'm 39 years old an ibs and hypermobile joints diagnostic but didn't have tremors and all the other problems before the first pregnancy. Today I can't get out of bed, my head is shaking, shortness of breath and now terrible muscle aches in 4 limbs. Covid is negative so I am really worried to what is happening to me again.

Mona, while you don't sound like you are showing any signs of ALS, it's clear you are struggling with something. You must work with your doctors to try to get to the bottom of it. It's possible to have a false negative result for Covid, or you may be unlucky enough to have caught flu. With what sounds like some other chronic health issues, it's important to get some medical attention- a request to your doctors or midwives for a telehealth visit is important.

Please take care, and hopefully you'll feel better with some medical care-

Hi everybody, thank you so much for your help. I have an appointment with a neurologist in 2 months because of Covid. I am pregnant and have a lot of anxiety because of my left hand and arm the shaking and twitching. Yesterday I saw a dent in my left interossei muscle and am very worried. I know you cannot diagnose me but is it something I should worry about or it looks normal? I promise I will not post again till I see the neurologist. Thank you!

Attachments

• PXL_20210208_135620769.jpg
    PXL_20210208_135620769.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 127
  • PXL_20210208_135628587.jpg
    PXL_20210208_135628587.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 129
  • PXL_20210208_135639977.jpg
    PXL_20210208_135639977.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 128
  • PXL_20210208_135657145.jpg
    PXL_20210208_135657145.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 134
Pictures don't tell much but your hand looks fine to me. "Dents" due to atrophy come after one has lost much of their ability to use their hand. Someone with ALS does not have the ability to hold their hand as you are in the picture.

Really and truly, your symptoms do not align with ALS. I'm not sure what is going on, but that is something you need to discuss with your docs. Please do report back in a couple of months after your neuro appointment.

Take good care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back