Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Tennessee
City
Memphis
First, I want to thank anyone that takes the time to read this post. I have started to develop weird symptoms that I cannot explain and they are causing severe worry. Background information: 24 year old female, decently active, used to play competitive sports.

So, the symptoms started roughly 2 weeks ago. They originated in my left leg. I had a burning/tingling pain running down my bottom into my leg all the way to my ankle. Next, the muscle twitches started first in the left leg and then moved throughout the body (top of head twitching currently). Additionally, I'm having random muscle and joint aches. Also tightness in throat.

Furthermore, my left leg appears to be significantly weaker than the right. I can do a straight leg squat (pistol squat) on my right leg but I can't on my left. It's like the knee and quad do not want to engage correctly. Pain in the top of leg. Physical therapist the other day mentioned something about my leg muscles being weak. Not sure if he meant from lack of use or clinical weakness. Panic ensured when he made this statement. Additionally, he states he thinks I'm hypermobile (not sure if that's related at all).

So I went to the doctor. The new nurse practitioner did not have any answers or ideas what it could be. She literally was googling stuff on her phone in front of me. She eventually just shrugged it off and sent me on my way.

So I went to urgent care the next day, she did a long physical exam and wants to run blood work. She says she thinks it's probably a vitamin issue or maybe autoimmune. I noticed when she did the reflex test my left leg reflex is stronger than the right.

So here I am currently waiting on blood work. As I type this my hands are burning and tingling especially in my outer fingers. The twitches in my leg are so strong now that it's moving the leg. I'm so scared I have ALS. Google has sent me down a dark and scary path.

Again thank you for your time.

Update: Urgent care just called and said blood work they got back was normal so far. A couple of things still pending. :(

No one suggested a back issue ? That is the first thing I thought of. The twitching in your leg. Weskness and pain are all consistent. Overall twitching is non specific and random aches and throat tightness don’t indicate any reason to think ALS

Why do you have a PT?

Absolutely nothing you have posted is indicative of ALS onset. Burning? Nope... Tingling? Nope.. Throat tightness? Nope...Twitches? Nope, everyone twitches... You have sensory symptoms all over your body and ALS is a neurological disease that affects the motor nerves, not sensory. How in the world did you land on such a rare neurological disorder from your current symptoms?

You can put this worry out of your mind and move on.

Take good care

Thank you both for replying.

Nikki: I was seeing the physical therapist for tmi. When I started complaining about the leg stuff he recently started trying to see if he could help with it. No one has suggested a bad injury. I used to get lower back pain but not recently.

Bestfriend: I typed in muscle twitches and Dr. Google did the rest.

So muscle twitches so strong the legs move is normal?

JD,

Muscle twitches are normal and happen in 70% of people. Some make legs, arms or shoulders move when they happen. Twitching alone does not equate to a neurological disorder.

Ok, thank you. I'm going to try to push this out of my mind. It's very annoying and symptoms appeared after a steriod shot in left butt cheek. Maybe the nerve managed to hit a nerve.

You told 3 health professionals all of the above and no one suggested that? It makes perfect sense. Your issues most definitely sound related. You should have said that in post one. Please follow up with your doctor. No need to respond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back