Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
PT
State
Porto
City
Felgueiras
I posted before because of a hand fasciculating\feeling weird and it persists but still no lack of strength 2 months later so I kinda forgot about it now. But i have another issue now: For 3\4 months now i have trouble breathing deeply for some reason and recently I've had twitches near ribcage so of course I started thinking ALS, respiratory onset. I have no stomach due to a cancer so I'm bloated almost always, maybe that's the reason i can't breathe deeply? Is respiratory onset ALS frequent and if so how long would it take until I can't breathe at all? It's been like this for 3\4 months with some days better than others and doesn't seem to be progressing...
Also I'm 20 if that matters...

I'm so sorry you have had so many health issues already but you DO NOT HAVE ALS.

Go see your doctor and have this checked - please stop grasping at this we cannot help you I'm so sorry.

Thanks for your answer, I know it's extremely unlikely it's ALS and there are literally a thousand other possibilities for what I'm experiencing, but since I had cancer I became very anxious about health and specifically ALS. I try to think if this was respiratory onset ALS i couldn't breathe by now because it's been going for 4 months but my health anxiety always leads me to ALS. I will try to forget it, after all I can still breathe normal and just 2 weeks ago i went to ER and my oxygen level in blood was 99%, but damn I can't take deep breaths and it's so frustrating.
Once again thanks for the reply, hoping it's nothing and I eventually forget about it! Maybe i will try and get a EMG just to clear things up and put my mind an peace.

"Maybe i will try and get a EMG just to clear things up and put my mind an peace."

Your mind will never be at peace unless you get your anxiety fixed. See your family medical doctor.

Anxiety can cause breathing issues, i.e., difficulty taking deep breaths, sighing, etc. Googling ALS and visiting this forum = Anxiety.

Stop searching health related issues, go for a walk, get some exercise, meditate, do yoga and I bet your anxiety will improve dramatically!

Went to a doctor today, he did auscultation and said everything seemed normal with my breathing and said I could go home. But I still have dificulty breathing, it hasn't improved. Oxygen level was 97, don't know if that's good or bad. Anyway if there was something wrong with my breathing I guess doctor would hear it on auscultation so I'm trying not to worry anymore.

And now it seems to be getting worse, I'm really short of breath, and seems to get worse when I lie down, and I'm getting twitches near ribcage... I'll go to ER again

You are hyperventilating and all your breathing issues are sounding like anxiety.

Going to the ER is smart - it may not be anxiety, it could be any number of things.

However it is NOT ALS.

Please realise it's now time to take your concerns somewhere else. I know you are suffering, and I do feel for you and the situation you are in, but this is an ALS forum. We must give our time and energy to PALS and CALS. You've had a good run here. All the best.

Ok thanks all for the help! Our brain is complicated, after I googled my symptoms and ALS came up nothing can take my mind out of it. I know it's almost unheard of at 20 (without familial history) and respiratory onset only occurs in 2\3% of the cases so I shouldn't be worrying about it but damn nothing can take my mind off of it.
You can close this thread if you want now, thanks for the answers and please know, I wanna believe when you guys say it's not ALS, but my anxious mind gives me a hard time. Sorry if I bothered you.
All the best.

Now a few days later and I still feel very short of breath.... Also I keep having twitches around my ribcage some are strong some are weak and not very noticeable.
Even though I'm taking 15mg Diazepam daily I can't manage my anxiety, and keep thinking about this damn disease. It's so hrd to live like this, I don't think I can take it much longer.

Pick up the phone and call your doctor. The folks here cannot help you with health anxiety.

You're still here, Tink?
I need to be direct now. We work 24/7 with folks who have ALS, and can't do a thing for those with other problems. I need to ask you to move along, please.

I called the doctor and i mentioned ALS, he said "What the hell made you think that" but yet here i am, still worried. Sorry to disturb you, will try to let it go....

You called the doctor but what you should have said is that your health anxiety is out of control and you need help for it. Reassurance that you do not have ALS is not working - not an unusual occurrence in health anxiety. I suggest asking for cognitive behavioral therapy.

Do not post again. You are not helping yourself by staying here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back