Not open for further replies.

Ssenfuma

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hopefully, this is not a waste of everyone’s time. If so, my apologies.

I’ve been experiencing weird sudden onset issues in the last week or so. It started with numbness and pins and needles in my foot and arms. There was some weakness and while I have a some loss of sensation, the weakness comes and goes. A few days later the numbness went up my leg and into my groin. At this point I thought it was from a sports related issue from years ago in my back. My doctor had an MRI done but nothing was seen other than the old injury which shouldn’t be causing any issues.

I ended up being admitted into the hospital. I had numerous MRIs of the head and spine, tons of blood work, and a spinal tap. All showed relatively good results (no MS etc). They told me to see a neuromuscular neurologist for a nerve conductivity test and said it seemed to be something with my peripheral nerves. While generally weak, it seemed that I had decent strength at the hospital to not alert staff. Not sure if it’s worse, the same or better now (almost a weak later).

Fast forward a few days and I started getting stiffness on my right front neck area that would eventually migrate to under the chin and on the left. I also had issues with my right arm in the pinky finger going dead. After about 48 hours it got better, but maybe not 100%. I had a similar incident with my left hand but not as bad.

What really started to etch at me is I got twitching in my arms, legs, hips, and a little on the face (slight). I’ve had issues where my lips and face go numb numerous times and I generally have a loss of sensation. A few days ago I got a coldness around my back head and neck. I woke up 30 min later with neck and cheek pain and stiffness. It felt weird to breath. Over the counter anti-inflammatory helps a little bit but after two days it’s still there. With that comes a bit of swallowing issues and general fatigue. I’m not choking on any food or liquid but it’s a bit uncomfortable. I’ve also experience muscular pain in the bicep and forearms. I also experience a Charlie horse in my calf, but I’ve always had stiff ankles and calves, but it more noticiable and possibly more frequent. This is generally proceeded with twitching which stops for a bit. I also get sore in the biceps, cheeks, and calves.

Admittedly, I do graveyard shift as a first responder and shift back to a daytime schedule for family life when I’m off. My eating habits are not terrible but could be a lot better. It’s not too uncommon to miss a meal and be up for 24+ hours. This has happened a lot more frequently recently and sleep can be hard to come by, especially with the neck issue. I work out fairly regularly, but have limited it since January when my back randomly started hurting from that sports related issue. I was able to get a 3x2 mile run and 2 lifts since this started with the numbness which is heartening, but I it generally proceeded by another symptom popping up (neck and throat issue). As I said, the leg and arms seem to be in and out when it comes to numbness and pins and needles, but I’m worried about a loss of strength and the soreness that randomly pops up (one time might have been from working out).

Total timeline is somewhere around 2 weeks since I really notice a lot of numbness to now. Numbness that is always there but I’d worse or better mattering on the day, fatigue, some weakness on bad days.

Lastly, I know very little about the ALS other than from the internet, the stickied posts, and my old high school did some fundraisers for these type of illnesses. Does anyone know any good charities or things I can do? If this isn’t ALS and I get back to running, I’d like to do a run or something.

Thanks for reading. I can go into more detail on certain things if needed. I just want to see my neurologist to figure what all this out. I absolutely have been worried about ALS, and doctor appointments are made, but a month away.

If you read this Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms you know that your mostly sensory symptoms point away from ALS

you are having ncs because your symptoms made your clinicians suspect a nerve disease some types of which have much sensory involvement. aLS is a motor neuron disease and is looked for mostly in an emg though multiple other tests and clinical findings would be needed besides an emg that meets ALS criteria.

suggest you stop consulting Mr Google who will absolutely lead you astray If you can’t resist look into peripheral neuropathy

Ssenfuma, your Bio only has… Country: US.

In the future, depending on your Neuro appointment, possible
EMG and you may want a second opinion we can be of help
directing/helping you with other info and possibilities.

It is optional but as things may go you might consider adding
at least a State.

But… do avoid Dr. Google until you see your Neuro. Your
Neuro is a real doctor… highly trained and highly educated.

Being a first responder I’d bet the medically qualified you work
with would suggest the same... see what the Neuro says.

If ALS concern is becoming stressful...ask/tell the Neuro office
about taking any cancellation or something sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back