Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Francisco
Hello I’m 33 , I am experiencing muscle twitches all over body and my muscles feel weak . I’m getting aches in my arm muscle , neck muscle pain is irritating . Wouldn’t say too painful but like a 4 . Few weeks ago felt like it was hard to keep my jaw close but at night it felt like it would open without me doing it . Been dropping here things and there not sure if it’s because I’m anxious or not .
my muscles feel sore and I haven’t even work out . But my neck concerns me had this strange feeling as if for 2 seconds I couldn’t breathe or move then I snapped right out of it woke up and went to the ER . I thought I was a stroke but ct scan came out ok blood tests came out ok . He said maybe is my plastimus which I think is a muscle that controls mouth chewing and Idk but also had light headed ness for like 1 month mostly when I walk . Doctor couldn’t find what’s wrong , left hand feels weak and it was aching . I’m stupid at describing symptoms but my neck muscles got me scared . Could it be als . It’s also only on the right side of neck .

I would ask about a sleep study. But I don't see any reason to worry about ALS.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for your suggestion it’s something I will consider . I’m just so scared and anxious . I’ve read some posts where painful muscle cramps showed up then shortly twitches all over body then came a ALS confirmation .
I’ve read the sticky notes and I can’t make sense of it because of anxiety . I’m blessed to not have other ALS symptoms like slur speech . Dropping things or tripping , I can function well and probably run . However over the last 3 months , my muscles under my chin . My neck muscles hurted then shortly after out of nowhere I noticed twitches all over body . Had restless legs . Burning sensation on my arm that went away then happened on my left foot . Calf is sore . Was light headed when I walked for a few weeks . My GP said everything is ok but I don’t feel ok . Should I insist on a neurology referral and a mri and EMG test . One minute my hand twitches . Next my back of knee , then my foot . My shoulder . I’m getting this twitches throughout the day not in a specific area but whole body .

Miggy, I've posted this before but I think it's something that
might help you. And other readers of this sub-forum.

During a pandemic, a person may notice very common every day
physical sensations normally overlooked, often not even noticed,
but now becomes the fuel for health anxiety.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) note that
some people often find the current pandemic stressful and experience
anxiety.

The National Alliance on Mental Health suggest that most people with
health anxiety will experience one or more of the following symptoms:

Fasciculation (twitches).
Shortness of breath or a feeling of choking, difficulty swallowing.
Shaky limbs, weakness.
Tingling in the fingers, limbs.
Numbness, muscle ache.
Irregular heart beat.
Panic attacks.

Then it’s off to Dr. Google… now their anxiety gets fuel injected and
unfortunately for some it becomes supercharged.

Sadly it seems, Dr. Google has a fixation for ALS… failing to refer
that it is a rare disease. COVID 19 anxiety can also generate a sense of
doom turning the searcher’s direction to terminal ALS.

Whole body twitching points well away from ALS. You can record audio/video when you sleep and see what you look/sound like. When your sleep is not refreshing for any reason, it can affect everything you mention.

Also worth eying your mattress, pillow, seating.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you this made me feel so much better . It sucks thinking I have ALS to the point I don’t talk much because I’m afraid someone is going to say if I’m slurring and my body is tired because I find myself constantly doing strength tests and my hands hurt because I’m constantly pressing my muscles . This all started because I had Sharp neck pain , felt my jaw muscle weak and and started getting random small 1 second twitches all over body that come and go through the day at any time . and google said it was bulbar als . Fml

I have a few questions nd curious if someone can answer .
I’ve read a symptom of ALS is muscle weakness . But what exactly is muscle weakness ? Is waking up with muscle aches and soreness muscle weakness ? Or the feeling that my muscle are tired is that muscle weakness ?

the other question is twitches . How are benign twitches different from ALS twitches . Are ALS twitches non stop ? Or come and go or both .

thank you guys .

No and no. Clinical weakness is being unable to do something you used to do. It might feel like you could do it -- but you can't.

ALS is not a disease of twitching -- twitches come with other issues, like clinical weakness. As previously stated, bodywide twitches point away from ALS.

I have to admit . All I have at the moment is muscle aches . On my left calve . Some aches on my shoulder and one ache on my neck .
somehow my twitching started randomly and it’s all over my body . And it disappears when I work or move and when I’m at rest the twitching starts .
that being said I have one of the best health insurance but to see a neurologist or get an EMG test even a mri I need a referral . I told my doctor about my aches. My neck discomfort that comes and goes . And my twitching all over the body and he still hasn’t referred me for further tests . The closest thing of a test was the grip my hand and balance tests and follow my finger and touch your nose test .
every test came out good as far as blood I think he didn’t check magnesium but my vitamin D was at 12 which showed up as defiency . Vitamin B was good . I do read how mostly every post even those who only symptom is twitching easily get referred to a neurologist for test . Should I keep insisting? Or continue with the Zoloft he prescribed and counseling . Gonna be quite honest , the twitching part scares the hell out me . Surprisingly I didn’t had twitching until I read an ALS symptom site then a twitch turned into all around my body frenzy .
is it wise to lie to my doctor and exaggerate my symptoms a bit to get that referral . It’ll give me the peace of mind to be checked by a neurologist ,

No it is neither wise nor ethical. If you did get that referral you would be taking a spot from someone who actually needs it, in a time where all medical resources are very very scarce and you would probably then start to doubt- thinking it was too soon etc etc

I am not sure you'd find anyone here that would advise you to lie to your doctor. Your doctor obviously sees no neurological concern, so does not feel a neurologist referral is warranted. Is there a reason you are choosing not to go to counseling? If, after multiple counseling sessions and giving the zoloft a chance (sometimes it can take months to reach a therapeutic level) you still have physical symptoms that affect your life, you can return and ask for further exploration.

@Nikki J If you hadn’t point that out I wouldn’t have seen it that way . I’m not selfish or anything just frustrated .

@ShiftKicker Its all new to me. Literally it’s my fourth day taking Zoloft and my counseling starts in a few days . I am going to give it a shot I’m just skeptical how counseling would even help me. I always thought counseling and therapy was for marriage troubles and those kind of social issues .

I still feel like I’m not out the woods . My neck muscle pain went away but comes back once a week . My calve hurts kinda sharp but I do work in a huge place I walk about 3 miles daily . It could be that but I doubt it .
I wake up sore mostly arms . And with a sore throat at times and shoulder pain . Has been stressful since September but slowly getting better . My doctor said Zoloft is good in the first couple days at relieving anxiety and had some phone counseling . I think the Zoloft is helping because I went from twitching all over my body daily during rest and now it kinda stopped not completely but now it’s only a few twitches and feel they are fading away . The Zoloft is calming me down . Hopefully I’ll be out the als woods soon .

Hello guys . I don’t mean to be bothering you guys and extremely thankful and take the replies with great fullness . So I started with Zoloft and some counseling . Things were going ok twitches calmed down a bit , my counselor advise me
to not google symptoms or anything like that so I’m posting when I shouldn’t but the last few days I started feeling light headedness “ I know it isn’t a symptom of ALS however I felt neck discomfort on my neck muscle as if it’s losing strength . My twitches came back all over . My calf hurts , my arms and shoulder feel sore . I know twitches can mean anything but also I woke up with an uncontrollable jerk of my arm that I didn’t move it did it by itself one time and it seemed violent haha but I woke up in fear I’m not sure if it was cause of a nightmare .
im still able to work long hour shifts and exercise somewhat normal but it’s like my body is kicking my ass , one day my calve hurts , next day my neck and shoulders aching . Twitching all over when I finally rest . And it’s scary because google points to als .
was doing ok and suddenly things went downhill feels almost as if things are just progressing . I’ll probably switch doctors because the one I have all he’ll say is anxiety however for 2 months I’ve been having muscle aches , twitches . If it was anxiety that should probably disappeared when I’m not anxious .

I think your counselor would have also told you to stop posting on an ALS specific forum if they know it was part of scratching that anxiety itch. Please understand the folk here, while sympathetic, can not help you with this fear of ALS. In fact, this forum is only making it worse, while also burdening the people here with having to answer you repeatedly about a disease you do not have. Please leave the forum behind and continue to work with your counselor and doctor.

Closing this thread- please do not start another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back