weight loss with als

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Jackiemax,

I apologize for making you feel ashamed. That was not my intention. I was trying to help you see your predicament from another perspective. ;)

Mike

no need for apologies

quadbliss,
quadliss,
no need to apologize. i certainly know that you were not saying what you did about dignity for any other reason than,like you said, to share another perspective to handling this disease.

i have buried a father, mother, grandmother,2 aunts, two uncles, three first cousins, and a husband, yet i have never experienced anything like this horrible disease. i wake up every morning and the first thing i do or even think is 'thank you lord for giving us another day. just show me how to serve you today.' i am so grateful that the lord gave me this wonderful man whom i have been married to for the past six years to love and to be loved by. and when this disease hit him, i promised myself that i would not ask God 'why', but i have since then asked God 'why' several times. i don't know what God's purpose is, but i do know there is one, and i thank all of you for reaching out to not only me, but to each other. together we will help each other.

God bless.

jackiemax

Wonderful attitude, Jackie. It takes as much effort to be grateful as it does to feel resentment, and feeling grateful makes both us and everyone around us feel better! Cindy

My husband is gaining weight every month. (He was diagnosed in august of 2008). He says he is starviing, especially in the afternoon and through the evening ... so he eats and eats and eats. He has gone from 175 or 180 to 205. (big belly and all). I know that everyone says he shouldn't try to lose weight, but I am worried about the effects of too much weight. His ALS is very slow progressing ... the weight (especially if he keeps gaining) could cause so many other problems. He says that since he has ALS he is burning a lot of extra calories and so he buys and eats things we haven't had around much before like potato chiops and other snacks. He eats good healthy meals three times a day as well. Should he try to cut back?

loralie-

No! Gaining weight is a good thing! I wish my husband could gain his weight back to where he was! Congrats to your husband and he is right - he is burning extra calories, even while he is sitting doing nothing! Our neuro told us this. It is hypermetabolism. If you are referring to high cholesterol, there have been studies done that show that high cholesterol in pALS is good and seems to extend there time here on earth.

Let him eat all he can while he can! It may come to the point that he will be unable to swallow or chew and you will wish he had kept the weight!

The big belly is going to be more prominent as the muscle atrophy progresses. I'll take that over no belly at all...

Loralie. I am jealous! Like CJ said, let him eat. 8)

I just got back from the respriologist and he advied me to lose wieght, quit smoking. And start discussing my "to vent or not to vent". my tests from last week i'm at 75%. It dropped from 91% in a month? As far as my eating habits, as it is hard for me to toliet now, i keep my diet pretty bland. I have noticed i'm more jiggly than before...lol okay my daughter told me, as she pokes me at least once a week. :)

On the subject of weight , it's hoped I will put some on when I get my PEG , I'm down to 39 kilos at the moment :-(

Weight Loss and Tube feeding

My husband is down to 105lbs. and I'm terrified. He only eat through his tube and he has a bowel movement 5-8 times a day. I'm going to use lomotil at the drs. suggestion. Has anyone had this problem?
Thanks

My Mom has lost over 100 lbs in 1 1/2 years. After she got her feeding tube we thought it would be better. ALL of the canned food gave her diarrea. I recently started giving her "real" food again and she is doing much better. Got a vitamix and last night she had a burger and fries....this am eggs and bacon. I don't usually give her fried foods but she gets good nutrition from the foods that always made her feel good and it is working.
Laura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back