Weight loss relationship?

Status
Not open for further replies.
jimercat, how much weight has your husband lost?

Hi Jules;

Yup the slurred speech was the first thing we noticed in July of 2007. I was visiting my in-laws in Ontario and after a couple of beer (and you know I needed the beer to deal with the rellies and the Ontario heat) I sounded like I had been drinking all day. Not normal for me. I came home, went to my GP who sent me for an MRI of my head and an appointment with a neurologist. After the MRI (normal) the neurologist did the first of many arm and foot wrestling sessions and didn't notice anything. Then he looked at my wiggling tongue and decided to make an appointment for an EMG. The doctor who did the EMG said that she saw something but wasn't sure so she made an appointment for me to go to the ALS clinic. They did more MRIs, EMGs, arm and foot wrestling and gave me the wonderful news in Feb 08. The interesting thing is that my tongue was never EMG'd, only my face (only the first time), arms and legs. Since then my speech is much worse and eating is a problem too. Arms and legs are pretty good so far with only might right hand not working if it gets cold.

Barry

Barry, thanks for the response. Very sorry about the DX. It appears that your onset is somewhat typical for Bulbar based on what I've read in the Forum

I wish you and your family the best moving forward.

God Bless.

Hi Jules;

Yup the slurred speech was the first thing we noticed in July of 2007. I was visiting my in-laws in Ontario and after a couple of beer (and you know I needed the beer to deal with the rellies and the Ontario heat) I sounded like I had been drinking all day. Not normal for me. I came home, went to my GP who sent me for an MRI of my head and an appointment with a neurologist. After the MRI (normal) the neurologist did the first of many arm and foot wrestling sessions and didn't notice anything. Then he looked at my wiggling tongue and decided to make an appointment for an EMG. The doctor who did the EMG said that she saw something but wasn't sure so she made an appointment for me to go to the ALS clinic. They did more MRIs, EMGs, arm and foot wrestling and gave me the wonderful news in Feb 08. The interesting thing is that my tongue was never EMG'd, only my face (only the first time), arms and legs. Since then my speech is much worse and eating is a problem too. Arms and legs are pretty good so far with only might right hand not working if it gets cold.

Barry

Barry,

Your arms and legs are 100%? No problem? Just speech?

All the best for you,

GGKK

Jules,

To answer your question: My husband has lost 12 pounds within one month, which is a lot for a pALS. He was at 200 and now is at 188. He's 6'3" tall. Losing this weight, along with the atrophy of his hands, arms, face, shoulders and chest is not a good thing.

I was told this would be the "come to Jesus" meeting at clinic. He had gained a few pounds back, but lost them again.

I feel like posting a sign in the neighborhood - "LOST: 12 pounds, they looked good on me. REWARD! Please bring them back to the guy on the corner who sounds drunk!"

Seriously, he's getting worried and depressed. I believe is was Rose on another thread that talked about not being able to taste the food anymore. That is also my husband's problem, along with Thrush that he can't seem to get rid of.

Jules, thanks for the best wishes

GGKK
I wouldn't say that my arms and legs are 100%. My job used to involve a lot of walking and hiking in the forest and mountains and I haven't been able to do that for a few months because it's a lot more work than it used to be. If I do much carrying things or computer work my right arm and hand gets stiff and doesn't work very well. I notice that it's sometimes difficult to hold a pen or a spoon. No tripping or falling but I'm taking it easy just in case.

geez rose,
sorry I added to your grocery list with the extra hot chocolate!:lol::lol:

And my poptarts are always frosted blueberry, hot out of the toaster, with some very cold chocolate milk in a glass glass only!:cool:
thinking about having that tonight as a matter of fact,
yeah,
fat & sassy & proud of it ( I used to say that a lot!)
-b

Hot chocolate is great, the kids are completely hooked. Every once in a while we splurge on a gourmet brand, but the families favorite is to take the plain old stuff and cool in off with a couple of dashes of french vanilla creamer from the fridge.

Take care,

Robert

my boys just cant get into the hot chocolate thing and it actually irritates me! After they built a snow fort and were outside for hours, they said they wanted hot choc. so I made it and they said it is tooo hot. Then when it cooled, it was to cold. Ok

so we took them skiing today ( I did not ski) and we took a break to get hot chocolate by the fireplace (what could be better), same thing....to hot.....then to cold. I give up on the hot chocolate! BUT, I was able to jog slowly up and down the bunny hill with my 4 yr old! yeah! I even did it backwards, I know it doesnt seem like much but to us with muscle issue's, it is these small moments that I treasure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back