Diagnosis
12/2021
Country
US
State
MN
City
Lakeville
I have had many of the ALS clinicians share with me that I should relish the fact that I am eating in the same pattern and gaining weight.
I have been a fairly active senior citizen that loved long bike rides, etc. I have given that up since my diagnosis 6 months ago.
Yes, I am far more sedentary as my energy bank depletes pretty quickly.
Pre-ALS I kept a weight of about 180, now I am about 200 lbs. And my figure is showing it. The bubble is in the middle. ;)
My arms and legs are much thinner than they had been due to the muscle atrophy.

Yes, I understand that this might change; how long did it take for others?

Is it fair to say that the weight loss is a good thing due to our sedentary nature?

When it does start the course, I do look forward to the suggested ice cream and fats.
My wife is a very conscientious cook and likes to feed me cautiously. She will be a great CALS as the journey progresses.

Looking forward to some more info in the conversaton.

I would not give up your bike rides, even if they have to be modified as to how, when, and with whom you ride/are a passenger.

The weight gain in the middle -- good, bad, indifferent -- goes back to your BMI and what works for you.

If your BMI goes <30 or so, you might want to tip back to that level, but your weight gain now gives you a cushion to watch it and not have to yo-yo later, which isn't the best for your metabolism.

So for some people, weight loss is good and for others bad, to answer your question directly, as you can see from the link above. But what you eat is equally important. ALS is at least partly a disease of metabolism, so what you put in the engine does matter even more than pre-ALS, I believe. And the miracles of microwaves, blenders, etc. give you the opportunity to customize what you eat to a greater extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back