09/2017
Country
SP
State
NY
City
Lugo
Hello beautiful souls,

Since symptoms began, my father has been steadily gaining weight, especially over the last few months as spasticity worsened. He tries to stay active by going to physical therapy three times a week and by pedaling at home in the electric bike, but he has gained at least 10 kg nevertheless over the last year or so.

I know that weight loss is usually more of a concern than weight gain, so I was wondering how much we should worry and if you recommend making any specific changes to keep weight gain in check. I imagine that my father's weight gain has a lot to do with the fact that he has PLS instead of ALS (at least as far as we know for now). He has high hypertonia/spasticity.

Any guidance with respect to managing weight would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

E.

E, it might help if you mentioned his height and what his weight actually is now?

Best,
Laurie

Reducing spasticity will enable him to move more freely and comfortably and possibly allow for better activity.

Disclaimer:

Your dad is in a weird spot with regards to weight and activity. It sounds like there is a possibility there may be a chance of lower motor issues. Exercise needs to be approached VERY carefully as a result. Mobility, stretching range of motion and support for unaffected muscles is key. Weight loss is definitely not a goal in this situation, as those with a higher BMI show greater resilience.

In your other threads, you've mentioned his spasticity is un- or under treated, and this should be the primary thing to look at. If your dad is still mobile, more weight will create a greater burden on joints and potentially increase fatigue. It really might be a good idea to try to clarify if at all possible with your dad's doctors if there really is lower motor issues, as this would guide choices in activity levels and weight loss.

Thank you both.

I talked to my dad's neuro today and she seems reluctant to give him Baclofen or Tinazidine. According to her, their effectiveness treating spasticity is limited and side-effects might outweigh benefits. She also said that it is unlikely that the fact that my dad stopped taking Amantadine worsened his rigidity. However, I am not sure that is true: I was under the impression that Amantadine helped with rigidity and my father really worsened the day after he stopped taking it.

I have made an appointment with another neurologist on the 4th of January to have a second opinion. My father's current weight is 82kg and his height is 174cm.

If my conversion memory serves me correctly, he weighs 180 and is about 5'8". I think for a man that would make his BMI about 27.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back