PALS
Country
US
State
mi
City
ann arbor
Hi Guys,
I'm 21 years old, and about a year ago, I noticed that my tongue isn't as nimble as before. I was never a great speaker (I used to stutter a little bit), but I never had a problem with my tongue and other facial muscles associated with speaking. Now, my face feels a bit sore if I talk too much.

I have good stretches and bad stretches with my speech. The good stretches usually last about 2-3 weeks and the bad stretches about a week. However, recently, I noticed that my bad stretches are taking over. My tongue just feels a bit heavy and while I'm not necessarily slurring, it's just more difficulty for me to say the same thing. I really have to concentrate to enunciate everything correctly. I don't have any swallowing problems or drooling problems either. My tone and loudness of my voice is also fine, although I would sometimes get hoarse if I talk too much, or if it's winter. (I don't know if this is a problem) I don't have weakness in my arms or legs, although lately I'm feeling that my fingers are a bit less nimble also. I mistype things alot more and it just feels a bit labored to type anything. (I've probably had to correct 30 words typing just this) How long does it take for the full-on symptoms to be noticeable? It's possible that my ALS (if I have it) hasn't completely revealed itself. If I begin to choke on things or drooling, I would probably die of fear.

I really really hope this isn't ALS. Though I know I'm young, I have heard of young people getting ALS. Stephen Hawking himself was only in his early twenties when his ALS set in. This is really scaring me, and any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Wayne -

Have you seen a neurologist? Sounds like you have some weird stuff going on but there are other possibilties besides ALS. And if by chance you do have ALS, the sooner you get proper medical attention the better off you will be. Do you have medical insurance?

Liz

Hi Wayne. As Liz says a trip to a Neuro would be a better idea than getting yourself worked up thinking you have ALS. While it is rare in a person of your age it is not impossible so I'd get it checked and try to stay away from medical sites that will only give you more symptoms to worry about.

I guess I should

I guess I should make a trip to the neuro, even though it would take at least two months to get an appointment. The reason I'm scared is because even if it's not ALS, I doubt there will be a definite cure for my ailment.
A possibility that slipped my mind was mercury poisoning. I began weight training two years ago. I only continued it for four months, but during that time, I ate two cans of tuna each day. I don't remember specifically if it was during that time that I started feeling a heavy tongue, but I will definitely ask my physician.

Wayne. I think you are way overthinking this. I would think you'd have to eat a way more tuna than a couple of cans a day to get mercury poisoning if you even could get it from doing that. A 2 month wait for a Neuro is about right for Canada or the US so I'd try to remain calm and wait it out. And by the way DO NOT listen to anyone who tries to sell you a detoxifying program. It's a scam. AL.

wayne_md said:
Hi Guys,
I'm 21 years old, and about a year ago, I noticed that my tongue isn't as nimble as before. I was never a great speaker (I used to stutter a little bit), but I never had a problem with my tongue and other facial muscles associated with speaking. Now, my face feels a bit sore if I talk too much.

I have good stretches and bad stretches with my speech. The good stretches usually last about 2-3 weeks and the bad stretches about a week. However, recently, I noticed that my bad stretches are taking over. My tongue just feels a bit heavy and while I'm not necessarily slurring, it's just more difficulty for me to say the same thing. I really have to concentrate to enunciate everything correctly. I don't have any swallowing problems or drooling problems either. My tone and loudness of my voice is also fine, although I would sometimes get hoarse if I talk too much, or if it's winter. (I don't know if this is a problem) I don't have weakness in my arms or legs, although lately I'm feeling that my fingers are a bit less nimble also. I mistype things alot more and it just feels a bit labored to type anything. (I've probably had to correct 30 words typing just this) How long does it take for the full-on symptoms to be noticeable? It's possible that my ALS (if I have it) hasn't completely revealed itself. If I begin to choke on things or drooling, I would probably die of fear.

I really really hope this isn't ALS. Though I know I'm young, I have heard of young people getting ALS. Stephen Hawking himself was only in his early twenties when his ALS set in. This is really scaring me, and any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
hi I started in 99 with tongue tightness and hoarse and nasal sounding and it stayed that way for 6 years no diagnosis until 2005 when i developed arm weakness all my test emgs spinal taps and blood test all neg. but by process of elimation thay say its als. Look at your tongue see if it quivers and unable to move side to side quickly and see a als clinic they will know more. I hope its something else Good Luck and God Bless Pat

patricia sciarrino said:
hi I started in 99 with tongue tightness and hoarse and nasal sounding and it stayed that way for 6 years no diagnosis until 2005 when i developed arm weakness all my test emgs spinal taps and blood test all neg. but by process of elimation thay say its als. Look at your tongue see if it quivers and unable to move side to side quickly and see a als clinic they will know more. I hope its something else Good Luck and God Bless Pat
Hi Patricia, so are they absolutely sure it's ALS? I can't imagine doctors' diagnosis through process of elimination. During those six years, did you experience a difficulty of speaking? I can speak, but I just feel that my tongue isn't as nimble as it should be, but it's not too severe. My tongue doesn't really quiver (are you talking about fasciculations?) and I can move it side by side (though i don't know how fast is considered fast). I don't even know where an ALS clinic is. Thanks for the info though.

Hi Wayne. If you got to this website and look at the in your community section you should find info for your area. AL.
http://www.alsa.org/

wayne_md said:
Hi Patricia, so are they absolutely sure it's ALS? I can't imagine doctors' diagnosis through process of elimination. During those six years, did you experience a difficulty of speaking? I can speak, but I just feel that my tongue isn't as nimble as it should be, but it's not too severe. My tongue doesn't really quiver (are you talking about fasciculations?) and I can move it side by side (though i don't know how fast is considered fast). I don't even know where an ALS clinic is. Thanks for the info though.
Hi Wayne Yes I am taking about fasciculation I have that since 2000 and my tongue is scalloped Yes I started with very mild slurring now its moderate slurring but now that I have weakness in my arms assoc. with atrophy they are calling ALS but I went to a ALS clinic John Hopkins and it is worth the trip But Wayne dont read into it it maybe something minor so go to a Neurologist before you make yourself crazy like me I guessed for 6 years . Take care and Happy Holidays Pat:)

patricia sciarrino said:
Hi Wayne Yes I am taking about fasciculation I have that since 2000 and my tongue is scalloped Yes I started with very mild slurring now its moderate slurring but now that I have weakness in my arms assoc. with atrophy they are calling ALS but I went to a ALS clinic John Hopkins and it is worth the trip But Wayne dont read into it it maybe something minor so go to a Neurologist before you make yourself crazy like me I guessed for 6 years . Take care and Happy Holidays Pat:)
Patricia, did you have fasiculations during those early six years? If so, were you able to feel them? Also, if you look in the mirror, is it evident? Thanks alot.

wayne_md said:
Patricia, did you have fasiculations during those early six years? If so, were you able to feel them? Also, if you look in the mirror, is it evident? Thanks alot.
Sorry, nevermind the first question. What I meant to ask is, do tongue fasciculations feel like fasciculations in the rest of the body? I know that when I have fasciculations in my leg or arm, I can feel it. Is it the same feeling with the tongue? Can you see them?

dear wayne no you dont feel them in the tongue only when you stick out your tongue do you see them. and that was the first thing I noticed besides the slurred speech. And it stayed that way for 6 years now its in my arms I still have energy and walk. Good luck

Is it easy to spot like fasciculations in other parts of the body? When I stick out my tongue, I can't tell the difference between small movements of the muscle (analogous to small trembling of hand) and actual fasciculations. However, it's hard for me to completely keep my tongue motionless, which scares me.

wayne where do you live I can call my neurologist in philly and get you in sooner if you want to You need a EMG A MRI and blood tell STOP guessing youll get crazy Pat

Hey Pat, thanks for the offer, but I live in Ann Arbor, Michigan. My dad is a generalist, and he's basically telling me that I don't have any problems, but I really think there is something wrong. I guess I'll just have to wait a few months for the neurologist appointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back