Weakness left side body/Globus sensation in throat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherguy

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
HI
City
Honolulu
Hello forum,

Like everyone else, I'd like to thank the members for helping out for free and really assisting many anxious and concerned people. If there's anything I can do other than donating, let me know!

Anyway, I'll try to keep this simple (sorry a little long):
  1. July 2019 - Had what felt like tenderness under jaw in lymph node area when pushed, left side only. Went to ER because my throat felt very constricted and I felt like I had a hard time breathing.
    1. They did a CT scan and saw no obstructions/tumors. Sent me home.
    2. Still have the feeling of a lump on left side of my throat constantly.
  2. Continued to have a globus sensation. Complained constantly to doctor, who got me scheduled with a gastrologist.
    1. My left side jaw felt a little stiff and still continues to feel stiff.
    2. Did blood tests, everything looked good. No B12 deficiency either.
  3. Got an endoscopy to look down my throat with a camera. As suspected, no physical obstruction in throat. Recommended medication for acid reflux.
  4. Got setup with a neurologist to look at my throat issue.
    1. Examined me, nothing out of the ordinary, except he did note some hyperreactivity when testing my reflexes.
    2. MRI of throat area showed nothing, no tumors or anything that would cause the globus sensation in throat (left side).
    3. I didn't really have a hard time swallowing, but breathing does feel constricted due to sensation.
  5. Got set up with ENT.
    1. He stuck camera up nose and down throat, saw nothing.
  6. Wasn't too worried, but lately some other symptoms started to develop.

Currently:
  1. Noticed my left side arm and leg were feeling weak. Even left side of my face was feeling weak. Was gradual and barely noticeable a couple months ago, but seems to be slowly getting worse.
    1. Left hand feels weaker than right, and left leg feels weaker. I've been dropping keys and I definitely have a harder time balancing on my left leg.
    2. My left face feels heavy, almost like it's drooping. I can still move facial features fairly normally.
    3. Left side abs even feel a little weak.
    4. No speech problems that I've noticed, someone did mention I sounded like I was mumbling, which of course got me on edge.
    5. Swallowing seems to be getting harder, but may be due to anxiety. Breathing sometimes feel constricted.
    6. I still have normal touching sensations in all my body.
    7. Still have lump feeling in my throat. Trying to take acid reflux meds, but I know it's not going to make a difference in the globus sensation.
    8. My left side neck also feels tender, like in the jugular vein area and right above collar bone, all left side. Not too sore, but when when I push into my left side neck, it does feel tender.
    9. Not too much twitching, but I think when I fully relax before sleep there me some small twitching in feet/forearm/and possibly throat. But may be due to anxiety or normal twitching.
    10. Occasionally experience headaches, feels like it's from my left eye.
  2. Basically, right now, I'm "all right" (haha...okay lame pun), since my whole left side body is feeling weak (head to toe), while my right side seems fine.
  3. Went to neurologist again, and he said that my strength still seemed pretty good on both sides. Of course, I mentioned ALS, and he said that's the least of his concerns. He did schedule an MRI for my noggin', which I'm going to do next week.

I know ALS early symptoms are highly variable, and definitely not looking for a diagnosis here. But, do you guys think that ALS could be something to watch out for regardless? Do you think this could be bulbar onset at all, or I'm being too paranoid? Thanks in advance!

I'm not seeing ALS at all, least of all bulbar onset. I would check your sleeping position and surface, though, and likewise your positioning at work. Sometimes one strained muscle in the wrong place can create a cascade of feelings. If the MRI is negative, which are the odds, I would also go back to your internist and make sure you have been worked up for systemic disease such as post-virus complications or a bacterial infection.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you Laurie, this helps. I’m not a doctor, but these symptoms did develop a week later after swimming around a stream, and in Hawaii they’re not always very...clean. I’ll inquire about that too, not sure if you have any sort of ideas for viruses/bacteria, I did take antibiotics to no avail. I guess I’ll update about MRI results if necessary or if doc has concerns about ALS afterwards. If you need any engineering help though or construction help, that I can do. Thanks!

Your last number 3 of three is the key sentence of all you posted....

"Went to neurologist again, and he said that my strength still seemed pretty good on both sides.
Of course, I mentioned ALS, and he said that's the least of his concerns."

It can be the least of your concern now too.

May the MRI you are scheduled for next week lead the doctor to a curable diagnosis.

Thanks, I know the point of this forum is mostly for assurance and hopefully peace of mind. I know I’m not out of the woods, but I definitely can sleep easier. Will update if necessary on MRI or new developments that neurologist may have concerns with. You guys keep on keeping on!

Okay, not going to lie, I was feeling optimistic, but lately less so. Very worried. I'll describe current symptoms, as previous symptoms are above.

It’s hard to describe the feeling, but my throat, tongue, and left side face feel numb is best way to describe it, although I retain my sense of touch in those areas. I think I can still move the muscles, but range of motion seems compromised. Just feels...weird.

My voice is slightly hoarse, but I’m not sick. Talking and articulating seems a little harder. Not slurring words, but I do need to focus a little more on talking than I normally would.

The most worrisome part is that breathing is getting difficult the past couple days. I thought maybe it was the anxiety, but that's not the case. Breaths are starting to feel a little shallow, like I can't get enough air. Like not winded, just that breathing isn't getting me enough O2 I feel.

I can still swallow, not really choking on food or water.

A lot of small little muscle spasms throughout my body and face.

Bunch of other small symptoms, but I’ll spare those details. These symptoms seem to be progressing steadily, with nothing really curbing it. I definitely have something neurological at this point, and of course I'm fearing the it's ALS.

Had an MRI done on my brain a couple weeks ago, but they’ve not gotten back to me, probably because the doc didn’t see anything of concern there, at least according to the front desk.

I have a follow up appointment at end of April, but it seems so far away. Should I try to push it up, especially with all this Coronavirus scare going around, or should I let symptoms ride out more to get something more definitive? Any advice to ask doc? I’m not looking to diagnose myself, especially with ALS, but these latest developments are really pushing me to not rule out bulbar onset. I'm a fairly young male (early 30s), so I know statistically it's highly unlikely, but I feel that a lot of these developments and its time frame of progression are worrying.

Appreciate any comment on the situation.

It really doesn’t sound like ALS. I see no reason to accelerate your appointment. If anything you might push it out as a longer interval will give more certainty to the doctor’s conclusions. It doesn’t sound like you have any change in function which might be a reason to go

Thanks for quick response, Nikki.

Is that the criteria the doctor will look for, loss of function to start looking toward ALS? I agree in that I can still walk/talk/swallow fairly normally, but the shallow breathing has me alarmed. Is it worth it to ask for an EMG and/or swallow test?

You haven’t described ALS. You’re barking up the wrong tree. There’s no reason for the doctors to look for ALS. The question to ask is not “do I have ALS”, but “what’s wrong with me?”. Please keep working with your doctors.

Thanks Karen and everyone else. Will use this to post meaningful updates/developments, your guys' bluntness is second to none lol.

Sorry you are still worried about something you don't have. It will be good to just come back with the diagnosis once you get one.
Read this one as it seems you didn't - it should really help you, it is our official position.

Continuing to add 'symptoms', meaning vague things you are 'feeling', isn't helpful at all.
I hope you get answers soon.

Yes, read that, and it was quite helpful. Upon re-reading it, it's helped to ease my mind a little. I definitely don't feel well, and that's why 99% of the people come here to ease their health anxiety. Will update as necessary, thank you.

Hello people, looking for some advice.

Real quick, aside from the same symptoms above (twitching, weakness, etc.), I've been slowly getting worse. Swallowing has slowly been going to sh*t, breathing is a little tough, my fine motor control in hands and dexterity isn't looking good (trying to turn pages in a book has been a chore), and overall been feeling weaker in arms/legs.

Tests for MS, Myasthenia Gravis, B12 deficiency, and other items from blood test came back negative. Nerve Conduction study shows nothing abnormal. Physical therapy has been good for massages, but obviously hasn't helped symptoms. I know you guys aren't too big on symptoms, but it's not been very pleasant lately.

I have a followup appointment with Neuro next month. He also scheduled a swallow test, but due to this COVID stuff, they haven't scheduled me.

As for advice, should I ask for an EMG, or wait to do swallow test first? My neuro guy said that an EMG probably wouldn't show anything without clinical failure, you think this to be true?

Also, any swallowing advice other than smaller bites? It sucks now...I get a little anxious now every time I get hungry.:(

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry you are still so anxious, but we already advised that continuing to add to the list of vague non-ALS symptoms doesn't help you.
You really should not direct your doctors, nor ask them to perform tests they say won't show anything. What we know is if you don't believe us, nor your doctors now, you won't believe a clean EMG either.

Please, let this go here and follow your doctors advice and just look after yourself. Ask for help with the anxiety if it is that bad. You still are not describing ALS.

Please go back and read the link I gave you last time and let this go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back