Weakness in legs and arms + twitching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations. You are cleared and now put all your fears behind and go live a normal life. 🙂

Dear friends,

Unfortunately I am back.
2 things happened since I had my EMG.

1. My left hand has become noticeable weaker than the right. If I life up my middle finger, or pinky it shakes a LOT. Even just the hold the phone in my left hand alone it shakes.

2. My left leg continues to be weak. I noticed that I whilst I can easily curl/bend my toes on my right leg, it is very difficult on the left and my whole leg shakes if I try. My osteopath also noticed that I walk weird with my left foot.

3. My body continues to twitch all over. Especially calfs and legs but also hands and back etc

I was reassured with the EMG test at first, but after noticing the above, I started to question it.
EMG tests supposed to take 30-90 minutes and mine was done in 10.
I did not think that the neurophysiologist took my seriously. When he put the needle in my calf, there was silence.
But when he did on some other parts of the body, there was crackling sound even when I did not contract the muscle.

I am seeing the neurologist again on Thursday and considering asking to redo the EMG test with a different doctor.

Just so you know why I am worried is really because this weakness on one side of the body has become very noticeable, and we have done MRIs of spine, bloodtests etc. and so far there is no explanation.
It is true that I also have a weird feeling in my forehead and face. It is not pain. It feels like someone is touching my forehead. Very weird. And lip trembling which I think would point away from ALS.?

An EMG lasting 30 to 90 minutes???! Where did you read that? Sorry, Chuck, not true. My husband's lasted about 12 minutes and he was diagnosed with ALS. I'm not sure why you think you know more than someone with 15 years post secondary education, but many of the folks on this sub-forum feel they have more knowledge than the doctor testing them.

You don't have ALS. Perhaps you should move on and fixate on another terminal disease. I'm sorry you are going through whatever it is, but it's not ALS. Be grateful, will you? That's a reason to celebrate. Sorry to be blunt, but my goodness, you've been cleared of ALS; something someone with ALS would give anything for.

Good luck to you, take care, and be safe

Spbalazs, you’re chasing after ALS like you want it but yet
you’re afraid of it while almost convincing yourself you have it.

Anxiety can create a mental revolving circle/cycle.

You have been seen by a Neurologist, who is overwhelmingly more
knowledgeable, trained and educated in Neurology beyond
your self diagnosis of you relying on Dr. Google, reading posts of
others.

“His diagnosis was anxiety.”

“And I remember the other day I could tilt up my feet for like
a minute. I was trying but one of them just would not come up
In the end I managed but it worries me.”

If you eventually managed to tilt your foot up… it was because
your brain over ruled your hypochondria.

Your Neuro wrote…

“with some spread and the plantars, I thought, were extensor.

(For a diagnosis of a MND the Babinski test must also be
accompanied with the Hoffman test and others.)

Plantars are your feet, he did not mention Digiti Pedis… your
foot digits (toes). As he held the back of your ankle he also
observed the reaction of the Peronial Tendon. The big tendon
on the back of your ankle.

Apparently he decided not to go further with the Hoffman and
other tests.

Most likely from all that and considering your anxiety is why he replied…
“all reflexes normal.”.

You can see another Neurologist, they are well paid, some may just
run up the tab with more tests and an EMG but it the end… you’ll
get an factual answer. Or, if he is more professional he/she may
request consult/review with your first Neuro.

It’s up to you. No need to post more here being more than one have
told you - you have been cleared of ALS.

It comes down to this. Your feelings of increasing weakness don't accord with anyone's having found clinical weakness. That is a very important distinction, because as thousands of posts here over the years attest, the mind is definitely powerful enough to create perceived weakness, as well as worsening twitches and niggles that we all get from time to time.

I think you will acknowledge feeling stressed about your health. Once you have a handle on your anxiety, you will be in a stronger position to see what, physically, if anything is left that should be addressed. The only way to do that is with counseling that gives you a third party's insight. Please take that path, as it's the best way for you to truly feel better.

I'm closing this thread because I think we have said what we can. The rest -- the doing part -- is up to you. Please do not post again unless you are diagnosed with an MND, which seems most unlikely.

All the best.
--Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back