Not open for further replies.

paiste13

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
First of all, God bless everyone on here and thank you for these forums.

39m, 190 pounds. My right hip has been having a dull ache while laying in bed for the past 3 months so I made a PT appointment. No obvious pain or weakness while working out or doing normal activities other than a costant dull ache while laying down. The therapist performed arm and hand strength tests which were unremarkable (120+ pound grip for each hand) and I could walk on my heels and do calf raises without pain or weakness. He did various strength tests of my hips and my right leg/hip was noticably weaker than my left side while laying on my back pushing down and while laying on my side pushing down. In all cases it was hard to resist the pushing but there was no pain. I'd say the function was maybe 50-60% of the left, unweak leg.

You all say it's function, not feeling, that matters with ALS and my hip muscles dont hurt but there are clearly weak. The PT gave me some exercises to do at home and wants to see me in a few weeks.

Why I am worried is I have a desk job and go jogging a few times per week. I don't purposfully treat my left and right hip differently, plus I am right handed, so I'd think my right leg should also be stronger. But it's not. I did a forum search and there is a 2012 post stating that ALS can start in the hip flexors and it's a common misperception it always starts in a distyle muscle.

My anxiety is nothing compared to the reality many on the forum face, but it is consuming my mind. I have young kids and all I've thought about for the past three days is this weakness without muscle pain. Thanks!

I have to ask - did the PT say your R leg had 50-60% function or you think that? The way you have written is that is what you think.

I've not ever known ALS to begin in the hips, normally it would start distally.

I think that it is a doctor you need to see, but I'm way older than you, do not have ALS and have suffered aching hips when in bed for 40 years. I do exercises and stretches that keep it manageable most of the time. You have a desk job - bet that's where you should be looking at the ergonomics of how this impacts on your hips and maybe the sciatic nerve.

Let us know what your doctor says, but honestly, this is not how ALS ever starts, no matter how hard you search the scared posts here or out on the internet.

Thanks for the reply. The 50-60% is my assessment based solely on hornfar the PT could push my affected leg down without resistance.

I have investigated ergonomic chairs and different beds. I think many folks who post here probably have some deep anxiety issues, and that is what causes incessant searches.

It is not necessarily true that the leg with the dominant arm is stronger.

I have never heard of ALS starting with a dull ache at rest anywhere, let alone the hip. It affects the motor neurons only. I agree that I would be looking at your positioning at work, leisure (like on a couch), and rest. Your PCP may have thoughts after they evaluate you.

Best,
Laurie

If the PT had found significant weakness they would have told you. Your assessment of what was happening really does not mean anything. It will be the same - if you investigate ergonomic equipment, you will possibly just get something based on clever marketing. An OT could possibly assess your work setup and make true recommendations that could make a difference.

I know that anxiety causes the incessant searching and incessant searching causes anxiety. However, this CAN be treated very successfully. Please see a doctor.

The PT told me my right leg was weak. The numbers were not my guess, they were told to me by the provider. He gave me some exercises and I'll follow up in a few weeks.

OK, I was only going by this that you wrote: The 50-60% is my assessment based solely on hornfar the PT could push my affected leg down without resistance.
Let us know once you have been clinically examined by a doctor, or it you do your exercises diligently and show an improvement.
All the best, the chances this is ALS are so tiny you can concentrate on returning to health I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back