Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
CA
City
Woodland Hills
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I found this forum while looking around for information on ALS on Google. Lately I've been experiencing a variety of symptoms that seems unrelated to ALS. Light-headedness, slight dizziness, stiff neck, gastrointestinal probems etc. I was thinking that they might be anxiety related, or a possible thyroid problem but within the past few days I have been having some odd feelings in my left hand. It's the forearm really that bothers me. From what I've read, ALS generally begins with weakness in a hand or leg, and then progresses throughout the body. Difficulty with tasks that require manual dexterity is supposedly one of the first signs, but I don't think I am having this problem. I don't have a problem tieing my shoes, or typing, or turning a key in a lock, I just seem to have a funny feeling in my forearm like I've been lifting weights or doing something strenuous. I mostly notice it at work (I work at a grocery store). When I try to put things on the shelf, or straighten things out, it feels like my left arm gets fatigued quickly, and then it kind of spreads to my fingers. It also seems to improve with rest. I've been trying to use my right arm more often, and I do feel a little more fatigued than usual, but not to the same degree as my left. On my days off I don't really notice anything out of the ordinary. Also, I have very vague pains in my arm and fingers, and I understand that ALS isn't supposed to cause pain. Is any of this characterisitc of ALS, or is it all in my head? I plan to see my PCP soon to discuss my symptoms, but I would appreciate any input on my situation. Is there a simple test that I could have done that could rule out ALS? Sorry if this post is a bit long, but I'm nervous and am just typing things as they come to mind.

Matt,

Doesn't sound like ALS. Could be something caused from repetitive motion. don't drive yourself crazy thinking it is ALS.

There are many, many things that could cause your symptoms. Go to your doc and get off the internet. You'll be sucked in to all sorts of possible diseases if you don't.

ALS doesn't get better with rest.

go to see your GP, there are several things it could be. Get checked for lyme, esp. with the stiff neck.

rgds,

jamie

First of all ALS should be last on you mind, it sounds like you may have Myasthenia Gravis but this too is rare... I must say though that i knew that my ALS had progressed a lot on my right side when i went to push a button on my remote and it felt like i used my whole forearm to do it.... It was not hard to do, i was just aware that the muslce in my forearm felt like it got a quick work out.

Matt33 said:
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I found this forum while looking around for information on ALS on Google. Lately I've been experiencing a variety of symptoms that seems unrelated to ALS. Light-headedness, slight dizziness, stiff neck, gastrointestinal probems etc. I was thinking that they might be anxiety related, or a possible thyroid problem but within the past few days I have been having some odd feelings in my left hand. It's the forearm really that bothers me. From what I've read, ALS generally begins with weakness in a hand or leg, and then progresses throughout the body. Difficulty with tasks that require manual dexterity is supposedly one of the first signs, but I don't think I am having this problem. I don't have a problem tieing my shoes, or typing, or turning a key in a lock, I just seem to have a funny feeling in my forearm like I've been lifting weights or doing something strenuous. I mostly notice it at work (I work at a grocery store). When I try to put things on the shelf, or straighten things out, it feels like my left arm gets fatigued quickly, and then it kind of spreads to my fingers. It also seems to improve with rest. I've been trying to use my right arm more often, and I do feel a little more fatigued than usual, but not to the same degree as my left. On my days off I don't really notice anything out of the ordinary. Also, I have very vague pains in my arm and fingers, and I understand that ALS isn't supposed to cause pain. Is any of this characterisitc of ALS, or is it all in my head? I plan to see my PCP soon to discuss my symptoms, but I would appreciate any input on my situation. Is there a simple test that I could have done that could rule out ALS? Sorry if this post is a bit long, but I'm nervous and am just typing things as they come to mind.
Have you had a MRI of your neck. Why are you thinking ALS Its probably coming for a neck problem RELAX

ALS and Pain

I want to share my experience. When my father first started having sypmtoms, (he passed away 14months after his diagnosis and sypmtoms occurred 3 year prior to diagnosis, he had Bulbar ALS) he had extreme pain, he used to describe it like this, when he would wake up in the morning, he would just gently brush his finger down the side of his face and it felt like needles sticking him. His doctor explained that as the neurons die, they become hyper sensitive, this is what was causing his pain, so yes, you can experience pain with ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back