00/0000
Country
SE
State
ST
City
St
Hi all you incredible people!

I'm new here. Looked here a few times over the last three months (I have read the stickies several times). I'm - like everyone else - scared.

I'm a 33 year old male. Type 1 diabetic since long. Really scared. I hope I can get some advice from you, if you can offer it. I'm ashamed for posting here, I really am. You're all so incredible, and here I am panicking... But I don't know what else to do.

My symptoms in order:
- Early december 2019: Fasics start, all over. Aching in neck and right shoulder blade area.

- Late december 2019: Aching in neck and right shoulder blade worsens. Fascics continue all over.

- mid january 2020: Aching continues. Right foot starts to cramp lightly at random. Start slipping with right foot. Fascics continue but start to concentrate in right arm and right foot.

- Late january 2020: Right foot is now slipping constantly. Like when I push off, it slips back and the heel flies up towards the butt (not that far of course, but in that direction with a few cm). Fascics now only in arms and legs. Occasionally they are so strong that individual fingers move on their own, especially thumbs. Same with toes on right foot (although mor rarely) . Shoulder/arm feels like it's getting weaker.

- Early february 2020: Something in right arm is now (subjectively but certainly) weak. Shoulder aches a lot less though. Right is my dominant arm. Fascics much more frequent in right shoulder blade now. When I try to lift a pint of beer off the table, my right arm is waaay weaker. The pint feels like it weighs a ton and it takes a lot more strength to lift. Foot slipping continues. Random shooting pains here and there from all arms and legs. Right foot randomly hurts like a mf when I walk without shoes. Random fasics have almost disappeared except for in right foot, both calves, right arm and right shoulder/shoulder blade (I still do get random ones here and there on occasion but very rarely). I do have a lot of sensory symptoms in my right foot and very rarely in right hand and bicep. Vibration/buzzing mainly. Not sure if it's internal tremor or just sensory though. Occasional electric sensation too.

Fascis mostly subside during muscle use, but occasionally appear when moving as well. Right after i have used any muscle in my arms or legs, fasics start popping in the used muscle like crazy though, as well as the occasional cramp.

So. I know it's probably silly, but I'm effing scared. Not to die really, but for the fact that the child I'm expecting will grow up fatherless. I know it sounds dramatic, but dear me am I freaking out. Never been the anxious type before. I've had a clean brain MRI, and basic neuro by my GP in early jan. Bloodwork clean too. Only weird thing noted was definite HYPOreflexia in my patellar reflex, bilaterally.

I wasn't really worried until i started experiencing the weakness in my right arm (it's slight, but it's there). I'm not athletic and don't really work out but I've always been quite strong (really, I have, haha). Now, I feel like a beer weighs a ton.

MS has been ruled out via MRI (previously my GPs prime suspect due to diabetes). Diabetic neuropathy is also highly unlikely due to full sensation in all peripherals.

Gonna see a neuro soon I hope, but I'm so xxxxx scared. I've read quite a few "atypical" onsets in this forum, and they seem to often be in the younger range (I remember reading that atypical onset is more common in young people in a few papers as well) and that is what terrifies me. Sorry to take up your valuable time, but if you have any to spare, what do you think?

Tons of love and sorry for the long post,
N

Please read this if you have not already done so

Nothing in your post suggests ALS. You mention sensory symptoms which point away from ALS. Feeling weak is also not ALS.

Diabetics can get neurologic and musculoskeletal problems other than peripheral neuropathy. For example, adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder is more common in diabetics.

So start with your primary care physician and then see a neurologist and perhaps an orthopedist. But there is no reason for you to be worried about ALS.

Thank you Karen for your fast reply!
Primary care suspects something neurological, but we'll see.

So despite all the fasics and prominent symptoms in my foot as well you don't see anything in that direction? Slipping etc. I do realize that I cannot yet say that I have clinical weakness. Nothing has definitively failed me yet. And I do also know I'm talking to a rheumatologist here so I know I'm outclassed in anatomy knowledge :)

My fear though, is that something in my shoulder girdle has begun to weaken and due to me being hyper attentive (which I freely admit I am atm), I have noticed weakness that most non anxious people wouldn't have. I fear I've noticed the "insidious" bit early. I hope I'm being stupid, but yeah... I can't shake it.

Edit: I should add that my shoulder pain is nowhere near extreme, nor is my range of motion restricted. It's only when lifting things toward my face where I experience weakness. I have a lot of crepitus in the shoulder blade though.

Thanks a billion for your kindness.

This is a really common misconception. Hyperviligance doesn’t mean that you’re more aware of impending clinical weakness. Perceived weakness or feeling weak is not a precursor to clinical weakness. Work with your doc but you are not describing ALS —not even an atypical presentation .

Thank you codyclan for taking your time. Yeah, I think I might get "insidious" and "subtle/gradual" a bit mixed up to be honest...

You really do help by answering. Thank you.

I wish you all the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back