Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
BR
City
Bristol
Hello everyone, I’m 23 years old. Went to my doctor about weakness and fasciculations about 4 months ago but was told it was stress. Since then I feel like the weakness has gotten considerably worse. if I try to use my muscles they are very weak and struggle compared to how they used to be. It is not just one muscle but every single one. If I stand on my tiptoes my legs will shake, if I try to hold facial expressions for longer than a few seconds my facial muscles will shake.
My calves muscles will often tense up if I clench them and go into a Charlie horse kind of spasm. I can still walk fine mostly but seem to stumble/trip more on uneven surfaces. The fasciculations are there most of the time, usually in my legs or arms but I have felt them in my butt and face too. It can also feel like my muscles jerk slightly occasionally meaning that my arm or leg will move a little. When I lie in bed I can feel my whole body shaking. My hands are shaky all the time and it makes it difficult to do things like type etc.
I think I can see noticeable muscle wastage in my legs and arms too but my doctor did not check for that last time so I don’t have anything to compare to. The doctor didn’t do any exam aside from ask me to pull and push him, and because I could still do that he said he wasn’t particularly worried. He called the neuro team at the hospital who said they didn’t think from the history it was anything serious but to refer me anyway so I have an appointment in 2 weeks.

If this is ALS what kind of time period would I be looking at for progression of symptoms? Is 3 months long enough for things to be gradually worse or would I have noticed something significant?
Thank you for your help!!

ALS does not start with "every single muscle" at all. So to me it sounds like you are looking at something systemic, quite possibly as simple as needing more potassium in your diet, getting over an unrecognized virus (even Covid), or not getting enough refreshing sleep, not an uncommon issue these days.

So I would really while waiting for the neuro appointment focus on your hydration, nutrition, exercise (e.g. stretches) and sleep. When these work together, it can make a vast difference.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back