Diagnosis
09/2018
Country
US
State
illinois
City
Mahomet
My weak left foot continues to swell more and is cooler, actually cold, at times. How high should I try to elevate it? What else might help?

My PALS uses a foot and leg rechargeable compressor made by Naipo. It has worked wonders and he no longer has swelling in his foot. He uses it every morning for about an hour or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need your legs above your heart. Do that for an hour or 2 every day. No machines, all you need is tilt on your chair. Or a pillow and a wall.
Vincent

Elevating an extremity above the level of your heart should temporarily relieve edema (swelling). For a foot, you can achieve this in an adjustable bed or by propping the leg up with pillows as you lie down.

Massage is also helpful. Foot and leg compressors can substitute for massage.

Some people use compression stockings. The best kind are graduated compression stockings with the best being a prescription item. These provide a gradient of pressure up and down the leg. Some forms of compression stockings are available over the counter. Beware of the type that are hard to get on and off. Even able bodied people often need help with some of these.

Lowering sodium intake in your diet also helps. Avoid diuretics unless you need them for some other reason because they will mess up your fluid and electrolyte balance.

I am having difficulty with my big toe sticking to my second toe and I am not able to wiggle my toes or move my feet much. I have found some relief by using rubberized toe separators at night between my first and second toes or by using toe socks which separate the toes and keep the feet warm. You may have to go up a size or two if you have a lot of swelling.

I have the same problem with toes on one foot--I'll have to give the toe separators a try. My foot doctor used tape to keep them apart but I find it hard to keep it on or put it on. Thanks.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back