Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
Dear all, thank you for having me in this forum, I appreciate it I will try to make this brief

About 1 month ago I had a very weak grip in my left hand, maybe reduced to 50% of the right hand. I also noticed the thumb muscle is about 10 to 20% smaller in comparison to the one on the right hand side. The strength has now come back to approximately 90% of what it was Prior. Does ALS weakness come and go, or come and always get worse?

A week later in Thailand my middle finger on the same hand started to Twitch, it lasts for about 10 seconds and then disappears for anywhere between five and 10 hours. I still have this twitching from time to time and it has been about 3 weeks

I still have perfect use of both hands, arms, and legs and feet, I can button up my shirt and clip my nails just fine, I can also walk on my toes or my heels. No slurred speech or anything like that

My question for you is, does this look like the early onset of ALS or nothing to worry about?

Many thanks in advance

ALS weakness does not come and go to the extent you report, thumbs are often unequal in size and a twitching finger is seldom an issue. You might see a primary care doc to get a baseline on your strength, but ALS is not on the table.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for your prompt, careful and considered response, I really appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back