Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Diego
Hello all - I realize that there are people who are suffering here, and who are presently dealing with loved ones who have ALS, or who have lost someone dear to ALS. I do not intend to waste anyone's time, but I am desperate for advice and input from those who have deep experience and knowledge.

Here is my situation:

October 2022 experienced weak left leg muscles, and felt I was walking funny. Hip felt weak
December 2022- elevated CK levels; negative x-ray on leg
December 2022 - some twitching (told it was due to anxiety)
December 2022 - visit to Neurologist who told me I was likely ok, but to come back if symptoms continue, as the disease is degenerative
January 2023 - normal EMG and Nerve Conductivity.
January 2023 - normal Brain MRI
March 2023 - cannot lift as much weight with left leg as I can with right - 70 percent less; tingling in toes and feet and back of leg, atrophy in left butt muscle, severe leg pain at times.

Despite everyone's advice I cannot help looking to Dr. Google for answers. Everything I type points back to ALS. My anxiety is through the roof here.

I can't help but think about the "what if's".... I thank EVERYONE for their time and their consideration. Desperately looking forward to your thoughts and insight.

I see no reason to think of ALS. Your EMG was normal and your report does not jibe with how ALS presents. I would see an orthopedist for your leg problem, which could relate to your hip and/or spine. S/he might want an MRI, a PT evaluation, or to follow you more closely.

There is no evidence that you have any systemic nerve problem, which is what ALS is. But working out with an untreated injury could make it worse. Stop googling, call and make an appointment.

Best,
Laurie

Hi Laurie,

Thank you! I greatly appreciate you taking the time to respond. It's all just so unknown at this point, which adds to the stress of trying to figure out whats going on.

I think CLEAN EMG is the key indictor here, right? The EMG was done on my left leg - surely that would have picked up an abnormality if I had one.

MRI for lower back on Thursday - might be a sciatica issue I suppose.

Anyway, thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back