Ways to Adapt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jimi, I am hoping for ways I can use Alexa in my home to help. I actually have two of them, one in the bedroom and one in the main living area. any advice and assistance would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not sure how to fill out that chart, it downloads as a PDF that I can't fill in.
My experience with sharing documents is entirely with Google, but either Excel or Google Sheets would need to have the document shared by Jhettinger with privileges given to Jimi. Otherwise it is pdf format and cannot be edited by others.

Will this work? I believe I set it up so that anyone can have access.

My experience with sharing documents is entirely with Google, but either Excel or Google Sheets would need to have the document shared by Jhettinger with privileges given to Jimi. Otherwise it is pdf format and cannot be edited by others.

Yes that is what I was thinking . Office software isn't my thing . Thanks

Jimi, I am hoping for ways I can use Alexa in my home to help. I actually have two of them, one in the bedroom and one in the main living area. any advice and assistance would be greatly appreciated!

I use a few Google home minis around the house . Plus my phone is android and acts like a mini. I believe that Alexa can be used for most of the same . I have had very good reliability with the Kasa brand of smart products . I have 3 Kasa LB130 smart bulbs and 5 Kasa smart plug lite smart plugs. Smart plugs switch fans and I used one smart plug to control a cheap little power supply ($13) that I wired to a Piezo Electronic Buzzer ($8) This is my emergency buzzer in case my breathing equipment or whatever fails. Since my speech is slurred , I use my android phone controlled via Vysor software running on a windows PC which is controlled by my head movement with the free Enable Viacam software . This sounds more complicated than it is , but it allows me to control all of the smart home stuff right from the phone, hands/voice free. Once you get the hang of it , it is very reliable

Will this work? I believe I set it up so that anyone can have access.

Yep, that works . Going to take me a long time to fill it out with only my head movement ! 🙂

Jimi, if you'd like to flesh out anything else on the equipment/configuration you have, addressing the matrix and your general setup, we can leave it here for reference and also repurpose it as a resource. You can also attach it to your profile. That way, you won't have to repeat yourself as these questions arise.

Best,
Laurie

Cathy what do you want Alexa to do? With smart plugs you can very easily do anything that is on/off like a lamp or a fan etc. I am hooked into my nest thermostat too. There are also ways to control your external door lock and make phone calls. Probably lots more

Well I would like to just know what capabilities exist. I know I can call anyone in my phone contacts but not sure what else can be done. It sounds like I can turn lights on and off with "smart plugs". Are these easily available at a store or do they need ordered online?

I think you order online. I did And yes lights are very easy to set up with a smart plug only if you just need on/ off. There are smart bulbs that can do dimming The smart plug lets you just say Alexa turn on x or turn off. You can set up routines and have her do several things like lights fan coffeemaker all at once. I haven’t tried but I think you could set a time like turn on coffee at 7 Re smart plugs I started with single plugs but got a strip that had 4 plugs ( which I could name individually) and also has 4 charging ports

has anyone programmed a universal remote

has anyone programmed a universal remote

I used the BroadLink RM Mini3 IR Control Hub. Program anything with the smartphone app . May require some patience (or a tech savvy person ) but once you learn how to program and teach it, it's really great .

mod note: Edited to remove link, per forum rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jimi- you sound remarkably clever! I think your idea of doing a video or perhaps a few short ones is great. You could demonstrate your different systems and post them on you tube where people couple ask questions in comments and sign up for your updates. I certainly would! Technology is so important for maintaining quality of life with a disease such as als. You’re on the leading edge! Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back