Wasteful packaging

Status
Not open for further replies.
we have plastic bags here that are biodegradable. our grocery store has these for loose produce. I bring mine back every week and use them again and again for the loose things and it's amazing how many uses I get out of one. most produce I don't bag, but 8 oranges are better bagged to get them weighed at the checkout 🍊🍊🍊

Unfortunately here the big stores like Wal-Mart puts anything you buy in plastic
bags.... clothes, toys, hardware, housewares you name it. If I remember those
thin bags are not recycled for processing as I wrote on page one.

Mentioning toys... which most are plastic. Those are not recycled either. Not long
ago my neighbor put out a kids plastic car. They picked it up. The recycling plants
are not equipped to remove/disassemble the metal axles, pedals and etc.

I guess whatever we can do does help in some way.

PS. Just imagine the number of small plastic toys that get thrown out. Most of
them do not get recycled because so many have devices in them like sound
boards, small motors and etc.

I live in a rural sub division, as long as it all is in a garbage bag and or anything
they can pick up... it goes on the truck. Except for construction material.

Last edited:
Here is something I read w. interest - NYtimes 4/30/2019 google
"Your Questions About Food and Climate Change, Answered
How to shop, cook and eat in a warming world."
Maybe some of you like it too.

The problem is about to get much worse. Countries that used to take our plastic no longer do so our plastic ends up in landfills.

Our grocery store has special bags you can buy for frozen/cold goods. They last years. For the rest, they have cloth bags that are pretty sturdy and hold up much better than plastic bags.

The most horrible thing is that our oceans are filled with plastic "islands" and it's killing off living things. Tourists (and day trippers) come to our beach and leave trash all over. We have several organizations that do beach clean ups but the County pays for the rest. I've seen people throw disposable baby diapers on the beach.

I've seen people throw disposable baby diapers on the beach.
Wow. Absolutely disgusting.
I think it makes a profound statement that many of us here aren’t going to be around that much longer, yet we care deeply about what’s happening to our planet and how it will be for years after we’re gone.

Well, I'm sticking around to 2020, even if I have to go on life support. We need to get some people elected who care about the environment, diversity, equality, and saving our greed-controlled Country from imploding. We need people who care about the poor, the weak, and understand we are interdependent with other Countries to make this world a better place.

Amen Kim, I'm with you!!! Then maybe I can stop throwing things at my TV every time a lying politician is on😉

I got rid of my tv almost 2 years ago. I don’t miss it at all. I can get news as much as I can stand and the weather online. Ditto Seth Meyers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back