Diagnosis
11/2011
Country
US
State
PA
City
Pittsburgh
My PALS, Frank, has a trach and is in a wheelchair. I do daily sponge baths when he is in the bed. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can wash his hair? We do not have the ability to roll the wheelchair up to a sink (no opening below the sink for his knees). He also has very limited ability to extend his neck back.

Sharon

We used no-rinse shampoo (blue & white bottle, available on Amazon) and combed it through with a towel around his neck, while he was seated in his wheelchair.

One of the first things I did post-diagnosis was cut my hair very short. My brother, 81, has his hair shaved off and it looks pretty good. Just something to consider.

Look online for a shampoo basin to use in bed. There are inflatable basins that have a cut out for the neck. The inflation helps keep water from leaking around the neck. They have a drain hose that you clamp to shampoo and unclamp to empty the basin into a bucket or waste basket. Put a garbage bag with a towel on it under the basin to catch any spills. A water pitcher or milk jug will hold enough water to wash and rinse short hair. The basin is inexpensive and very comfortable.

Shampoo caps are great too. Expensive, but a really nice option for no rinsing and you can pop in microwave to warm them, so they are toasty on chilly morning. We didn't use them everyday, but they were nice here and there. You can find them on amazon.
Tracy

I use an inflatable basin like Diane mentioned and it works very well. There is a very helpful youtube video which shows the process

Oh those shower caps look amazing, what a wonderful idea in the cold weather for a PALS that can't get in a shower!!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have thought of the inflatable basin to use in bed but he can not lie flat-- more like the head of bed upright 45 degrees, so I am afraid that the water will come out of the basin.

Sharon

Sharon I would really try those shampoo caps then, they sound wonderful :)

The shampoo caps really are great!! I can't recommend them enough! They used them in the hospital too, that's how I heard about them, he really liked them because they were warm and left him feeling clean.
Tracy

There are also several different trays and such like the one I hope I loaded correctly. Kind of like getting your hair washed at the hair salon, minus the laying down part. Hope it helps. :)
-Erika

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-04-25-10-59-41-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-04-25-10-59-41-1.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 311
  • Screenshot_2017-04-25-11-01-25-1.png
    Screenshot_2017-04-25-11-01-25-1.png
    173.7 KB · Views: 306
Sharon,

We use the inflatable shampoo basin, and while you have to make sure it's draining well, you could do it with his bed that far up. Plus once you get his head into it, he will be a more comfortable with the bed tilted back more as it lifts his head and neck. You would just go slow and keep check the hose. It will hold more than you think in an angled position.

Hugs,

Sue

Thanks to everyone. You gave me several things to try and we will see what works best. I knew I could get the best advice here and I really appreciate it!

Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back